Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
clueless1959

trellis yarn, ladder yarn whatever you want to call it.

clueless1959
11 years ago

Anyone know of a good reliable source online to buy it from? Where I will not pay a fortune for shipping an handling?

Comments (12)

• tami_ohio
    11 years ago

Do you mean the really ruffley stuff? Try JoAnn Fabrics. I believe it's called Sashay. I don't know how much it is, I don't know anyone who would wear the scarves made from it.

• Babka NorCal 9b
    11 years ago

Frilly/ruffle yarn comes from many yarn makers, all slightly different. Mary Maxim has several pages in their catalog with different kinds. They are fun and fast and I've discovered that little girls LOVE the pink ones. So do the older gals in Palm Springs. They are fun to wear. Michaels has the Sashay on sale 2 balls for $8 every once in awhile. One ball will make a long scarf.

-Babka

• justlinda
    11 years ago

Actually the ladder yarn is something different than the Sashay. It is by Bernat and called Matrix. Can be seen at the link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bernat Matrix Ladder Yarn

• Babka NorCal 9b
    11 years ago

They are all knit the same, using a top edge only, not the whole ribbon of yarn. Once you get the hang of it, it goes very quickly and when added to the edge of a regular yarn knitted garment, I think it is a lot of FUN!

-Babka

• donna_loomis
    11 years ago

Actually, the ladder/trellis yarn does not knit up using only the top edge. It's actually a rather narrow yarn (I wouldn't even really call it yarn).

Clueless, have you used any of the ladder/trellis yarn? I bought several balls of it a few years ago and I HATE it. I don't know how much you need or what color you want, but if you like, I can check this weekend and round up what I have left and let you know what I have. You could have it for the cost of the shipping. I REALLY don't like it.

• Babka NorCal 9b
    11 years ago

Well, I guess, I have never seen a "ladder/trellis" yarn as you describe. When I did a google search it brought up all those other yarns, of which I am familiar. Those do work using only the top edge. Donna, do you have a photo of it, because I cannot imagine it, and would like to see it.

-Babka

• justlinda
    11 years ago

Babka, check the link I posted above. It shows the ladder/trellis yarn.

• Babka NorCal 9b
    11 years ago

Just curious... How would you knit with that stuff if you don't use just the top thread?

-Babka

• justlinda
    11 years ago

I don't knit - I crochet, but the whole "ladder = top rail, bottom rail and colored steps" is treated/handled as a single thread. You knit or crochet the ladder thread the same as you would a single strand of yarn. Think of all 3 components of the ladder as you would a 3-ply yarn.
    :)

• Babka NorCal 9b
    11 years ago

And what does that look like????? I think Donna got it right....not so good. I've seen the ribbon yarn from other makers and if you just knit that top string you get a layered piece that looks pretty good, but not with the big spaces in the Bernat yarn. Other ribbon yarns (that I've seen) don't have those empty spaces.

This is a whole new territory for me from "regular" twisted yarns. Much learning to do.

-Babka

• justlinda
    11 years ago

I personally don't like it....the look or crocheting with it.
    :(

• donna_loomis
    11 years ago

In my opinion, it's kind of "slippery", and looks terrible if you try to weave in the ends. And they wouldn't stay weaved in anyway (remember - slippery). I ended up using a needle and thread and sewing down the ends. And it isn't soft or comfortable against your skin. Also, as justlinda said, you knit it as if it were one thread (the ones I've seen/used are very narrow).

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH
More Discussions