Return to the Knitting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Knitting With Fabric Anyone?

Posted by trudymom (My Page) on
Thu, Dec 10, 09 at 9:49

Have any of you ever knit with fabric? Patterns? Tips? Needle size? Width of fabric?

Thank you!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Knitting With Fabric Anyone?

I do have a few patterns.I can email them to you if you would like them.

---------------------------------------------------------------------- ----------

o

rina602, I would love the patterns!!--please see my email address under "my page." Have you ever knitted with fabric?

Thank you!!!

o

I once knitted a rug out of 100% cotton t-shirts that I had cut into strips. The strips were cut across the shirt, and when pulled they rolled very neatly. I tried this with an acrylic blend but it didn't roll up. I cut a hole in one end of each strip and laced the strips into one big ball of yarn!

The rug was quite thick and heavy, but great for catching dirt, sand and gravel at the back door. Also good for the economy....recycling.

I just did the stockinette stitch ~ nothing fancy. The carpet wore like iron, and lasted for years!

o

Not following how you laced the strips together. Can you explain?

o

Lascatx ~

Here's a little schematic of how I lace my strips together. Hope you can understand my scribbles.

Photobucket

o

Depending on the fabric, I would cut into about 1" strips, and then sew the ends together to make one long strip. This is what I do for my rag rug loom. For denim, about 1", cotton Like sheets or shirts, about 2". It depends on how heavy your fabric is. And I would probably use at least a size 11 needle, maybe even a 13 or 15, depending on the fabric.

Tami

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Knitting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here