Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
roberta_z5

Looking for affordable yarn

Roberta_z5
17 years ago

Walmart stores used to have a huge selection of yarns and I would buy the Red Heart "Super Saver - 8 oz." for $2.17. Now, it seems the stores have all reduced their variety of yarns available. They still carry a few colors, but the selection has dropped.

Is this because people don't knit and crochet as much anymore? Any ideas where I can buy inexpensive but quality yarn?

Comments (14)

• donna_loomis
    17 years ago

I've noticed the lack of variety too, Roberta. And I've noticed that the yarn section at Wal-Mart has shrunk. I don't think it's because people are knitting and crocheting less, but that they just want to cover other crafts as well. If you take another look you might see that they still carry as many brands, just not as many colors. There just isn't room. Some of the yarns come in so many colors. I don't know about Wal-Mart, but Joann's will special order yarn for you. You don't pay extra for this service, and if it's on sale when you order it, you will get the sale price. I've had to do this to ensure getting enough for a project all at once.

• grannymarsh
    17 years ago

More and more people are knitting and crocheting, especially younger people and men. I can't figure out why Wally is carrying less yarn. One cannot purchase sock yarn there, that's for sure.
    How about Michaels Craft store , Hobby Lobby or Ben Franklin? If you get on their mailing and e-mailing lists, they will send you discount coupons regularly. I've also found yarn at some little variety stores and at Big Lots on ocassion, I've attached an on-line source that you might find helpful. They have good prices on some of the more specialized yarns(-I've been comparing) Notice that they have a flat rate for shipping. Factor in the cost of fuel and your time on the road. Their Red Heart Super Saver is more than $2.19 however, but watch for sales. Hope this helps.
    Marsha

Here is a link that might be useful: Knitting-warehouse.com

• Roberta_z5
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thank you, Grannymarsh!!!! The shipping is so cheap. We live in the middle of nowhere and driving anyplace at all becomes a great expense.

• rwisniew
    17 years ago

I have had great luck at Joanns.com on-line. After the first few orders I have received no shipping charges on any size order.

they usually offer no shipping on orders of $25. check everyday and you can get other offers as well.

• socks
    17 years ago

Once I saw yarn at a 99 cent store, might have been Dollar Tree. It didn't look too bad either.

• ironkit
    17 years ago

Knitpicks.com

Elann.com

I've had good luck with both of these. Elann ships much faster than KnitPicks. Both carry pretty good quality yarn. There's free shipping on KnitPicks for orders over $40. They don't ship overseas, but Elann does.

~ Kit

• HiDiane
    17 years ago

Hi,

Another good place for yarn closeouts is Smiley's Yarns. They have a minimum order of $40.00 and a flat shipping rate of $12.95, but they have awesome closeouts. When I buy from them I get a group of knitting/crocheting friends together and we split the shipping fee. I usually get the order within a week.

Our Dollar Tree store has been getting yarn in pretty regularly. I just got Lion Brand Boucle there. It is a great way to try out yarns I wouldn't buy at full price.

Diane

Here is a link that might be useful: Smiley's Yarns

• wantoretire_did
    17 years ago

I found this site today. Prices sure beat our local A.C. Moore, even with a coupon.

Carol

Here is a link that might be useful: discount yarn site

• wantoretire_did
    17 years ago

I retract that last post. At least the Super Saver is no big deal. Did the math. Sorry about that.

Carol

• msbee
    17 years ago

Here a person selling on Ebay. I have been eyeing because the yarn and the cost look good to me.

http://stores.ebay.com/Yarn-and-Thread-by-Lisa

• song98
    17 years ago

I have had great luck with yarn from this site:
    www.yarn-and-threadbylisa.com
    She also, as well as having a real "bricks-and-morter" store, sells on e-bay. Her prices, for what she sells, are the best I can find anywhere. (The Bernat Berella 4 is $1.79--the best price I can find around here or anywhere on the web.) She sells all of the Bernat yarns and all of the Paton yarns which I find are excellent yarns. She also sells maybe two or three other brands as well as knitting and crochet needles. You can email her or call her for any questions and she has been really nice about sending color samples to you to see up close. I have only recently gotten back into knitting and crochet after having "been away from it" for many years so I may not have as much experience buying yarn on the web as others on this post, but my experience buying from her has been very positive. I think her shipping prices are more than fair (I think over $50.00 it is free) and with the cost of gas it is lots easier. Hope this helps anyone out there.

• craftfetish
    17 years ago

The internet is probably your best bet.

If there is a specific yarn that you have been using, start with the manufacturers site.

If you just have a weight/color/fiber in mind, some of the web only yarns are great. I second the knitpicks recommendation.

Here is a link that might be useful: craftfetish blog (and knitting adventures)

• song98
    17 years ago

Sorry, I think the price of that Bernat yarn from www.yarn-and-threadbylisa.com has gone up. It is $2.12 a skein. Still a good price.

• puzzlefan
    17 years ago

If you have a Salvation Army store, Goodwill, or other resale shop you might occasionally check there. Last week I found a sack of new yarn at our Womens Resource Center for 5.00 which I bought for a friend as I don't use acrylics very often.

Sponsored
Fine Designs & Interiors, Ltd.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Columbus Leading Interior Designer - Best of Houzz 2014-2022
More Discussions