Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
donna_loomis

Can't knit or crochet for at least a week

donna_loomis
15 years ago

And I'm having a pity party! Sunday after church I stopped at the grocery store just for a bottle of mustard. It was raining and as I stepped through the doors, I wiped my feet on the mat, but I didn't see that the floor beyond the mat was wet (no wet floor sign) and my feet went right out from under me! I landed hard on my left side and my elbow took the hardest hit. I knew immediately something was very wrong with my elbow. But I could move my fingers so I was pretty sure it wasn't broken. There was a large indentation in the elbow and when I tried to move it, it just clicked and wouldn't move at all. Lots of people witnessed the fall and two of the checkers said they actually heard it as well. The store people were all over me. They called an ambulance and got me a chair (I insisted that every other part of my body was fine). One of the checkers asked if she could get what I came into the store for. "Only mustard", I said. I thought it was hilarious that she actually rang it up and let me fumble in my change purse for $2.19 to pay for it. And they certainly were not prepared for an accident at the store. The manager said he had to ask me some questions. He said that normally they would have some packets, but they didn't seem to have any and he didn't know why. So he was scribbling information on a yellow piece of copy paper.

I spent a little over 4 hours in the emergency room. They gave me morphine for the pain. It made me drowsy, but didn't take away one bit of the pain. After x-rays were taken (more pain - they didn't get that I couldn't straighten out my arm for their pictures), they determined that my diagnosis was correct. Dislocation. I have to admit that I had these horrible visions in my head from movies I've seen where someone just yanks the thing back into joint and the person screams, then they're good to go. Well, the reality is quite different. They put me under conscious sedation (don't know why they call it conscious - I don't remember a thing), then manipulated it back into the socket. I came to awareness as they were putting a half-cast on.

I know I should be thankful that I was well taken care of, but I was a little peeved that they didn't take my pullover off while I was under and wouldn't have felt any pain. Instead, they just cut the arm open and ruined it. Oh well, do you suppose the grocery store will buy me another? I'm not the suing kind, but I do expect that they will pay for the medical bills, and hopefully my lost wages. I have to wear a sling for 3 days and I don't think it's a good idea to drive with it, at least not right now. It didn't hurt too bad when I first got home, but it's sure hurting now. I can't believe that I am home for a while and I can't do what I love most - knit and crochet! Boo hoo!

Comments (13)

• MollyDog
    15 years ago

Oh no, I feel your pain. Last year I tore my ACL and MCL and fractured my knee while skiing...I hope everything heals quickly for you to enjoy the holidays. Best wishes!

• brenoreo
    15 years ago

Donna, I'm so sorry for your accident and the pain you're going through. Is it possible to spend your week on the computer looking for patterns or cleaning up pattern disks? You may be limited in the use of your arm/fingers, but it's a thought anyway. Hope this heals quickly for you and you get back to doing the things you love.

• sheilajoyce_gw
    15 years ago

Oh, Donna, that is torture.

• suebdoo
    15 years ago

Oh Donna, I'm so sorry to hear about your incident.

I dislocated my ankle a few years back. We have an above ground pool and the cheap plastic ladder had a crack in it unbeknownst to me. Long story short, I'm lying on the grass with my foot at an angle I can't describe. I guess I was in shock - but I managed to pop it back into place and got up. The emerg Dr. couldn't believe what I did.
    Let me tell you that your arm, like my foot will turn colours you've never imagined!!

Rest up and take good care of your arm.

• socks
    15 years ago

Oh, that's just terrible. I'm glad it isn't more serious. I suggest you sign up for Netflix, get a couple of good movies, and you'll be back to the needles soon enough!

• tami_ohio
    15 years ago

I'm so sorry to hear about this! Find a good movie or two and watch them, play on the computer (one handed, please) and rest that arm. The more you rest it now, the sooner you can knit and crochet again!

Tami... who learned the hard way with a broken wrist just how much you want to do what you can't!

• profsusan
    15 years ago

so sorry to hear about your accident - you must be in a good deal of pain

I fell the end of October walking from one campus building to another and tripped on the cracked concrete - very bad sprain on the left ankle (still wearing a brace), badly bruised right knee and fortunately the left shoulder is only bruised since they suspected a torn rotator cuff - still in physical therapy but since I crochet and am right-handed it hasn't really slowed me down.

Push for the payment of medical bills, ongoing physical therapy, etc. You should not have to pay for this. Mine is going through workers compensation since all those co-pays add up. Just be happy it wasn't more serious, a break at our age takes so long to heal. Feel better.

• Vique_Pa
    15 years ago

They made you pay for the mustard??? I am so sorry this happened to you, I can almost feel the pain as you describe it. I hope you will be knitting again very soon. vique.

• ladybuglove
    15 years ago

I am so sorry about you elbow . I hope it heals fast. and that you are back to doing the things you love fast.

• mamalo3
    15 years ago

donna i just saw the post...omg....i feel terrible...i wish you the speedest recovery....and hope you are back in full swing very soon......those hooks and needles will be crying without you..........take care...lois

• donna_loomis
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Well, I have been home from work for 3 days now. I had hoped to go in tomorrow, but who am I kidding? The cast they have me in is not a full cast, but rather a sort of trough, but it goes from just below my shoulder all the way to my knuckles. My job entails a huge amount of time at the keyboard and the only thing I can do with my left hand is to lay the outside of my ring finger on the keyboard to hold down the shift or tab key when appropriate. I'd say that cuts my speed by at least 80%, not to mention that even that hurts the muscles in that arm.

I can't believe how long the days are with nothing much to do. I've watched lots of television and done some reading. I was a bad girl and decided to try knitting. I managed to get a couple of rows done on a sock using the throwing method, but DH caught me and gave me a little lecture about possibly doing some permanent damage. But I was done after those couple of row, it just hurt too much.

I can't take a shower and even a bath is difficult. The short time that have to hold the arm up to wash my underarms and chest area just about makes me cry.

On the other hand, I don't have to do any dishes, and DH is doing all of the cooking (I get to help with menu planning and technical advice).

I have an appointment on Monday with Orthopedics and I'll let you know how that goes.

It looks like I will miss one entire paycheck, which is going to make things even tighter than usual. I'm hopeful that I'll be compensated for lost wages, but I suspect it will be some time before that happens.

• pepsi41
    15 years ago

Donna, so sorry for your mishap!!! Have never had a problem like yours, but I have had frozen shoulders before and I know the agony of trying to hold up an arm for a shower or bath. Another idea to help pass the time - do you do jigsaw puzzles? This activity has helped me while away a lot of time when I could do nothing else.
    Wishing you a speedy recovery!
    Pepsi

• pandora429
    15 years ago

OH Donna, I am so sorry to hear about your misfortune!!!
    Please take care of that elbow, I am sure you are going crazy by now, not being able to use your arm is agony. I have bursitis, and I am sure it cannot compare to your pain. Your needles, hooks, and work will be waiting for you.
    Take a much needed vacation, and enjoy the holidays...let everyone pamper you, and enjoy it to the fullest!! Happy Holidays, and get well soon. I am sure I speak for a lot of the ladies when I say, we wish you a speedy recovery !!
    Hugs,
    Marlene

Sponsored
Dream Design Construction LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Loudoun County's Innovative Design-Build Firms
More Discussions