Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sue_fish_gw

anyone done magic loop socks?

Sue_Fish
18 years ago

Is it hard to do..do you like it better than 4 or 5 needle socks? Anyone done the socks on the tiny circular needle..think it is 9" or 11" long

Comments (10)

• tami_ohio
    18 years ago

Sue, Sorry, I haven't been on line due to computer problems, so I haven't seen your post until now.

I do all my socks on one long circular---magic loop method. I don't like using dbl pts because I loose them, drop them, ect., and I think it takes longer, just because you have to keep changing needles. With magic loop, you are only changing between two needles, instead of changing all the time with the dbl pts. I learned with dbl pts first, and did it that way for over a year. I think it's a good idea to learn with dbl pts, as they do have thier good uses. I don't think it's hard to do with the magic loop. The hardest part is getting the cast on sts joined without having a big space. If I have to much trouble and get frustrated, I just cast on with the dbl pts, join and knit the first round that way, then change back to the circulars. I also start both socks at the same time on two different sets of needles, so I finish at the same time, and they also are easier to make sure they are started at the same place in the color pattern in the yarn.

Tami

• Sue_Fish
    Original Author
    18 years ago

tHANKS..i LOOK FORWARD TO GIVING IT A TRY...I NOT MIND THE DP'S MUCH BUT SURE IT WOULD BE FASTER WITH ONE LONG NEEDLE...WILL LET YOU KNOW HOW I MAKE OUT..

• threejsmom
    18 years ago

It's my favorite way to do socks. There are several tutorials available on-line.

Here is a link that might be useful: Magic Loop

• lawmar
    18 years ago

So Tami, is the Magic Loop method similar to 2 circular needles? I got the book - Socks Soar on Two Circular Needles by Cat Bordhi, actually I've had it a couple of months and have been reading and re-reading and think I'm ready to give it a try. I think the Magic Loop is just one long circular needle and this way is 2 circular needles. Have you tried this? I've tried socks on 4 double points and frankly, I don't see what all the fuss is about except that it can be very frustrating. I'm looking for an easier way. What do you think?

• tami_ohio
    18 years ago

Lawmar, I've done socks on 2 circs, but I don't know if the way I did it is the same. I'm thinking that maybe the book is telling you how to do both socks at once, which I would like to try, but I did one sock at a time on them.

Yes, the magic loop is just one long circ. No big fuss, except I can take my socks anywhere and not have to worry about dropping a needle, or if I'm using dbl pt bamboos, breaking one while knitting out and not having a spare. 2 circs work almost as good for that, I just like having only one set of needles. I tend to carry my socks with me in a small mult-compartment purse, shaped somewhat like a rectangle standing on end. My wallet, epi-pen, tissues, ect. are in one compartment, and my sock project is in another. Sometimes things get a little cramped! So I like not having to many needles to carry. As for dbl pts, I tend to drop them a lot, as my fingers always seem to have been in the butter. (butterfingers, you know!)I fumble things a lot. If I happen to drop a needle using the circs, they don't fall on the floor, down between the seats in the car, or down in my chair. To me,they are easier.

Tami

• Sue_Fish
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Gee...wanna visit Connecticut and teach me the magic loop method..I have read some but still doesn't make sense to me...I got the 40" long needle and so anxious to give it a try...lovely part of Ct here along the shoreline! LOL

• donna_loomis
    18 years ago

I've been looking at all of the info and it's as clear as mud for me. I think, for me anyway, it's going to be one of those things that I just have to get in and do before it will really make sense. Sort of like entrelac - I'll be trying that for the first time on my car trip later today.

• threejsmom
    18 years ago

Both Magic Loop and 2 circulars work essentially the same way: You're working on half your stitches (on one side of the loop in ML or on one of the needles in 2 circs) while the other half are "resting". When you're done knitting one half, you slide them back on the cord to rest, slide the resting stitches onto the working needle and continue knitting. It's probably easier to start with the 2 circulars method first to get the hang of knitting half of the stitches each time and then move on to ML. The advantage with 2 circs is that many knitters have more than one needle in the same size, different material and length. For ML you'll need to buy extra needles (I prefer 40 inches/100mm). I find ML more convenient since the extra dangling needle in 2 circs can be annoying, especially with small items like socks or gloves. If you need more info on Magic Loop, Bev Galeskas (Felted Knits author) has a booklet out and you may find it at a yarn store.

• tami_ohio
    18 years ago

Sue_Fish, ask me again come spring! DH and I have gone to Maine for the last 2 years! Even drove thru CT the first year. If the coast of CT is as beautiful as the coast of Maine, you are a lucky lady! I would be happy to show you if we go your way.

Tami

• Sue_Fish
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Well Ct shoreline is much different but I think it is just beautiful..I live in a quaint little village not far from New Haven and feel very fortunate to have ended up here...lived in Northern Vt for many years...like it better here...well I am determined I am going to learn to do these different methods of making socks at least once each!