Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sweets98

Easy Baby blanket that I love to make now!

sweets98
18 years ago

About a month or so ago I asked about patterns for Baby Blankets. I wanted something simple but pretty and different. I looked all over and found one on Crochet Pattern Central that was actually one of the patterns of the day or whatever.

Now that I know how to do this stitch, I've done it for other items like scarves and it's turned out nice.

It works fast but I certainly can't get it done in 3 hours like the orginator said!

Here is a link that might be useful: Bubbles Baby Blanket

Comments (18)

• sheilajoyce_gw
    18 years ago

I do love that cluster or popcorn stitch. So cute. I am knitting a popcorn stitch layette right now, so I may use this afghan as it will be much faster than the knitted version. Thanks for sharing.

• profsusan
    18 years ago

This looks very much like the Lion Brand Pound of Love Hooded Baby blanket. I have also made many of these in different colors to have "ready" - it looks great in peach or lilac for a baby girl (a real alternate for pink). Everyone loves it since the hood makes it a bit different and it is real quick and only uses 16 oz of yarn. I have also done it with a baby sport yarn for those in warmer climates than here in upstate NY. I've posted the link - they also have a knitted version if you are interested.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hooded Baby Blanket

• sheilajoyce_gw
    18 years ago

I also like to make one like this in rows of shells using worsted. Nice, warm blanket, works up quickly and is easy as well as pretty too.

• socks
    18 years ago

Hi Leslie, thanks for sharing that baby blanket pattern. It's an easy, basic one, and I made a copy of it to save.

Did you make it with two strands of worsted weight like the pattern directions said? If so, was the weight of it OK? I thought it might be a little heavy that way.

• sweets98
    Original Author
    18 years ago

The first one I did was just one strand of ww to give it a shot. I actually only used up a little bit of a skein I had and made a small, small, small afghan that I put over the back of my Dad's little rocking chair from when he was a kid.

The second baby blanket is two strands, but I use the baby yarn. It's not as thick and very soft and I love the two strand look.

Now this week, I dug out this blanket I started for DD and couldn't finish because I can't find the yarn anywhere. I ripped it apart and started adding in other colors I have so I can get it done. I tried doing it with this pattern, two strands of ww and I thought it was too thick, like a rug or something. I may have liked it but I wasn't really getting into the colors I was using or something. So I tore it back out and now I'm doing the same stitch only single strand.

I also did this stitch for a scarf using Lion Brand Homespun and one strand and that's okay...it's not too bulky or anything.

Leslie

• Dash2
    18 years ago

I can see why the the author said the blanket could be made in three hours. She used double strands of worsted weight yarn and an N hook. That's very bulky and the N hook is large. I can see how that would speed things along.

• sampatty
    18 years ago

Oh~those are the perfect little projects for me to do this winter. So pretty!
    I do have a question though. The hood of the Hooded Baby Blanket, starting with Row 2 says to 3 dc in the top of t-ch. Ch 3 turn. What does top of t-ch mean? I know that t-ch means turning chain but what do they mean by top?

• profsusan
    18 years ago

I never really gave that any thought - I just do the dc required in the turning chain and it has been fine. Sometimes directions are more confusing than necessary.

• Dash2
    18 years ago

If you think of the chain as a ladder, the 1st chain is the bottom and the 3rd chain is the top. They want you to do the final dc in the top of the chain, not the base or bottom.

• wantoretire_did
    17 years ago

Sweets - When you used a single strand of worsted on the bubble blanket, what size hook did you use?

Carol

• ironkit
    17 years ago

I made the Lionbrand hooded baby blanket for my cousin last year, and she loves it. She says it's just perfect for her son in our northern midwest climate.

I'm currently making one in Caron One pound, that's... huge. I just love this stitch. It's so purdy.

~ Kit

• wantoretire_did
    17 years ago

Kit - Is it my imagination or is the Carone One Pound a little stiff? Will washing it soften it? I read somewhere that some yarn has sizing???

The price sure is right at AC Moore with a 40% off coupon!!

Carol

• ironkit
    17 years ago

It's a little stiff, but it does soften up after washing. I made some scarves out of it for Christmas presents and washed them before giving them. They're just about perfect. I've also noticed that dragging this project around with me has softened it up, too.

~ Kit

• wantoretire_did
    17 years ago

Kit - Thanks for the washing hint. I'm making baby afghans for a non-profit run by a close relative, so am hoping to keep the costs down.

Carol

• profsusan
    17 years ago

I've found that different colors tend to have a different texture. I have worked with the lilac and peach and those are fine for baby blankets. I've used the cream for adult afghans and that is also fine. I have found that the Bright White tends to be stiffer and seems thicker than the normal worsted. Washing (and machine drying) does help - I generally wash everything before giving it - need to get rid of any loose dog hairs from the house!

• rwisniew
    17 years ago

How do you all think Caron cuddlesoft baby yarn in yellow and white would work/look with the Baby Bubble Blanket pattern?

Sherri

• sweets98
    Original Author
    17 years ago

It should look great. I think the lady who wrote the orginal pattern shows a picture of a yellow and white afghan.

I finally finished the baby blanket I was talking about when I posted this. I started it last year and I didn't really get the afghan big enough. The starting chain is almost too small for a baby afghan in my mind so I doubled it. The blanket came together faster this time than last and it looks awesome! The person I started it for had her baby months ago so I'm going to just forget about that! I have another friend who is expecting in Jan and I'm going to giver her the afghan.

• rwisniew
    17 years ago

I thought it looked a little small in the picture, I am glad you mentioned that!