Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sharon620

I cannot knit to for the life of me...

sharon620
15 years ago

Hello everyone and Happy Holidays!

I am trying to learn how to knit but seem to be having trouble. I can cast on but when I try and yarn over my stitches are very very far apart. I mean my needles are very far apart and I have this big string in between them.

It is my tension? I am doing a yarn over, around up and over. Just like the nursery line. lol

I like the other way too but I am a disaster at that.

I have watched videos over and over on this. I am doing it but something is wrong.

Thanks for your help!

Sharon

Comments (6)

• Vickey__MN
    15 years ago

Sounds like your cast on..I have that problem when I do one kind of cast on. Try a knit-on cast on.

SEcondly, so what when you're learning if your first row is kind of funky. Keep going. Your next project will be better, the next even better, etc. I started with scarfs (I used the fun yarns beccause they hid the mistakes), and am now onto socks. Just keep working on it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Knitting on Cast on

• donna_loomis
    15 years ago

I agree with Vickey. It could be the type of cast on you are using. Try another ( there are quite a few - do a google search). Also, if you are just learning, I suggest that you start with worsted weight yarn and maybe a size 7 or 8 (U.S.) needle. One more thing: are you giving up before you finish that first row? You might be surprised to find that at the end of the row it could be fine. And go ahead and do a couple more rows before you decide its not working. And in the case of knitting, practice really does make perfect. Good luck!

• sheilajoyce_gw
    15 years ago

Just keep going. Your tension will improve. Try to knit 6 inches to a foot and see how the tension improves. You won't be wasting the yarn as you can always rip it out and try again. None of us knit perfectly the first time. We used scrap yarn and eventually threw out the stuff. But by then we had developed the tension well enough for that first hat or scarf or baby blanket.

• sandralewis
    15 years ago

I've tried crocketing but my loops turn out different sizes and when I lay it out one size was bigger than the other. This was just the basic look stich. Which is easier to learn, crocket or knitting as in blankets? thanks

• damascusannie
    15 years ago

I'm a bit concerned about your description of how you are making the knitting stitch:
    " I am doing a yarn over, around up and over."

It sounds to me like you are taking a whole wrap around the needle with the yarn and that will give you an oversized stitch, resulting in the problem you describe. Instead, the yarn should just sort of lay over the needle and then be pulled through.

Annie

• damascusannie
    15 years ago

Sandra--You asked which is easier to learn, knitting or crocheting. I'd say it's about the same, both will require time and patience to learn, but once you do, they are both about the same difficulty as far as making fancy stitches, following the patterns, etc. I personally like knitting best, not because it's easier, but because I like the resultant fabric more.

Any time I teach adults (I teach mostly quilting classes) I notice that they are generally unwillling to allow themselves the luxury of being less-than-perfect and giving themselves the TIME and PRACTICE needed to learn the new skill. We tend to try something once or twice and if it didn't come easily, we give up and say "I can't do that". I didn't allow my kids to have that attitude, I don't let my students have it, and I don't let myself do it either.

So, to you newbies to knitting and crochet: keep your projects simple, start slow (10 minutes at a time), don't be afraid to rip out what you've done and give yourself at least a month of practice (at least half an hour a day) before you throw in the towel. And, if you really don't like it after that month, there's no shame in admitting that it's just not for you.

Annie