Return to the Knitting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Knitting Patterns done in strips

Posted by iris07 (My Page) on
Thu, Dec 27, 07 at 4:18

Hi Everyone,
I'm new to the forum but I've been knitting and crocheting for a long time. I love making Afghans and scarves. I have a question for all of you. I'm looking for KNITTED afghan patterns that are done in strips. I just can't make afghans that get heavy anymore. So if any of you know of patterns that I could knit in strips then join the strips together I would be very grateful.
Thank you all so much for your time. I hope to hear from you soon.
I'm also looking forward to learning from all of you.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Knitting Patterns done in strips

Here are a couple for you:

http://web.archive.org/web/20040414172103/http://www.thesmartyarns.com/patterns/May02/LacePanel.html

http://www.freevintageknitting.com/afghans/tone-o-rama-panel-afghan-pattern.html

But you should visit http://www.knittingpatterncentral.com/directory/afghans.php and check it out. Many afghans can be adapted to make panels.

Here is a link that might be useful: sampler afghan

o

Thank you very much Donna, I will check those sites out. I appreciate your help.
Iris

o

I've knitted several blankets, and have done them in strips....I've done them from top to bottom, but you could do side to side stripes. I didn't use a pattern but make them sort of like samplers...one, I did the same stitch on each of the strips - on another I did each strips in squares, each square a different stitch. You can do cables, too and more textured looks....or, try to use stitches that make it reversible, like the moss stitch, or garter. You really don't need a pattern - just get a book of different stitches and 'have at it."

o

Have you tried using long circular needles? The afghan sits in your lap that way as you knit, and is much easier on the hands and arms. You could also do squares, though the squares I do are usually crocheted.

o

Sandra and Sheila,
You both have wonderful ideas. Thank you so much for your input. I will get started soon. I was wondering, does anyone know if we can post pictures to this site? I have a afghan that was knitted for me and I don't know the stitch used nor do I know how the strips are put together. LOL Could someone let me know if we can post pictures? I might be able to copy it and send along if its okay.
Thanks again,
Iris

o

My favourite afghan to knit in strips is called "Rippling Waves". Usually 6 or seven strips are knit.

The last one I did was in fall shades.

The pattern is as follows:

Cast on 36 stitches.

Pattern Row: K1, K2 together, K6, Wlfwd K1, Wlfwd K6, K2 tog, K2 tog, K6, Wlfwd K1, Wlfwd K6, K2tog, K1.

Next Row: Purl entire row.

Next Row: Knit entire row.

Keep repeating these 3 rows.

I count the ridges and when I have 60 ridges on one side I cast off.

This is one of my favourites. I think I can do it in my sleep! I always like to have an afghan on the go when I want a change.

Hope this one helps.

Sue

o
Afghan strips and pattern from Sue

Oh Sue, that sounds wonderful. But I must be way to old because I have no clue what Wlfwd Kl means??? LOL Can you help me out here? I would love to try the pattern. I'm sorry I'm so dumb, guess you really do learn something new everyday.
Iris

o

Hi Iris

Wlfwd - wool forward
K1 - Knit one

If you have any other questions - please don't hesitate to write.

I know you will be happy with this pattern. After doing a few pattern rows you will be able to pick up where you left off with no problems.

Happy New Year!
Sue

o

Yes, you certainly can post photos on this site. However, you can't do it directly....many of us use Photobucket, which is free. http://photobucket.com/ if you don't understand the instructions, if you do a google with photobucket as your search subject, you'll find a site that has tutorials for it's use.

o

Hi I have got several knitted trips for a blnaket that a lady did who has died and I would like to crochet them together in black because they are in all colours. Could anyone tell me how to do it please?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Knitting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here