o
Type of yarn

Posted by jjknitter (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 23, 09 at 23:02

I have a pattern that calls for Win-Sport Yarn with a
gauge of 15 stitches =2 inches on Size #3 Needle
No row gauge is given and the yarn company is out of
business.
What weight of yarn do I use? Is it Sport Weight or what??
So confused.
Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Type of yarn

Hmmm, Fleischer's and Bear Brand both had a yarn called Winsport, but those were worsted weight and you probably wouldn't use a #3 (U.S.) needle with them.

o

If you look for a yarn that has a gauge of 15 sts.= 2 inches on size 3 needles you would likely be all right even without the rows. Most regular-not fancy or textured--yarns have the same guage. In other words if you get a knitting worsted that says 15sts.=2 inches on size 3 needles, it is likely that the row guage is the same as your pattern calls for.

o

According to both an older (7th) and current base edition
Bear Brand Win-Sport is a "sport" weight, or if you prefer the Yarn Standards definition - No 1.

It would be similar to a fingering or sock weight - but I would, of course recommend swatching to be sure the yarn you choose can achieve pattern gauge in a fabric satisfactory to you.

HTH

Wheat

P.S. If memory serves, both Bear & Fleischer were incorporated into Bucilla

o

The stitch gauge given is not using the current standard measurement.
15 sts = 2 inches, is now written as:

30 sts = 4 inches.

Don't get mixed up. (Reminds me of grade school math problems, when part of the question was talking about pints and another part was talking about quarts. And the student who missed the change got a wrong answer.)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Knitting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here