Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
damascusannie

Quick gift idea

damascusannie
15 years ago

I just knitted a pair of fingerless mitts for my 16 year old son. He wanted them for hunting because gloves can sometimes interfere with getting his finger in the trigger. I started at about 4 this afternoon and had the pair done by 9:30 with interruptions for dinner and other things. I normally wouldn't have thought of making them for a guy, but he's seen me wearing mine for work (I help my husband, a contractor, on small siding jobs and that sort of thing) and decided that they were just the thing for hunting, too.

Specs: Lamb's Pride Worsted weight yarn (wool with a bit of mohair blended in) on size 6 needles.

Annie

Comments (8)

• socks
    15 years ago

That's wonderful. I hope he likes them.

• damascusannie
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I'll find out tonight when the hunters get home! He requested them and made all the fitting decisions, so if he doesn't, it's not my fault. >smileAnnie

• Janey - formerly jane2
    15 years ago

ANOTHER quick gift - is to knit a facecloth and wrap it with a bar of soap.
    This can be a last minute, generic present - to have in reserve in case an extra present is unexpectedly needed. Or for a stocking stuffer.

Jane2 (Janey on knitting blog comments)

• socks
    15 years ago

Do the "gloves" have fingers, or just a thumb? Sounds complicated to me and I cannot believe how fast you did them. On double points?

• damascusannie
    Original Author
    15 years ago

We don't like the short fingers, so I just knit about an inch of the finger part of the mitten, then another inch of ribbing and bind it off. The thumb is an inch of ribbing only, and not closed either.

I inititally began making these as handwarmers for myself to wear on really cold days in my studio, but they are also great when we're at work (construction) because we can feel the nails or screws but our hands aren't completely exposed to the cold. Because there are no fingers, you can stop for a minute now and then and fold your fingers inside the mitt to warm them up against your palm.

Richard has a pair thin leather gloves that he planned to wear inside the mitts for a bit of extra protection from the cold. In fact, he's probably just going to wear the one on his trigger hand and wear a regular insulated glove on the other hand today. It was a brisk 20F this morning when they got up to go hunting.

Annie

• sharoncrafts
    15 years ago

I made a pair of these for a friend that works for a city. I made them out of hunter orange to match his sweatshirt.

• damascusannie
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I would have used blaze orange if I'd had any, but I must have used it all up knitting hats for the hunters a few years ago. We have to laugh here in Wisconsin because it seems like most of our warm outerwear is either blaze orange or camo, or Packer colors (green and gold). If you watch a cold weather Packer home game on TV, the colors in the stands are about split between green/gold and blaze orange because for a hunter, the warmest clothes he owns will be blaze.

Annie

• AntonyBever
    13 years ago

Wow, this is one among the most magical gifts. I am eagerly waiting for my friends birthday to give this magical gift....just a thought

Here is a link that might be useful: birthday gift ideas

Sponsored
More Discussions