Return to the Knitting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
how to make stitch markers????

Posted by sheilajoyce (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 16, 08 at 22:44

Has anyone made stitch markers with colorful beads? I thought I could make some with a bead shop being close to my house. But I don't know how. I was especially thinking of making some cute ones for me and some masculine ones for DS.

Do you like the kinds made from a necklace clasp or from a ring of wire? What is so good about using the claw clasp or whatever it is?

I am looking for some practical instructions here.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: how to make stitch markers????

I used a 10 mm jump ring to fasten to a bead that has wire around it. The wire around the heart has a loop at the top to put the jump ring through. Then I used a 6 mm jump ring to fasten to the small jump ring. I slide the 6mm ring over my needle and bingo, I have a decorative stitch marker. Vique

o

The claw clasps are nice if you need to place a marker that doesn't 'travel' as you knit. You can clip them to a stitch but they come out easily later. I'd make some of each if it were me.

Annie

o

Sheila, I use a "pin" (looks like a straight pin without the point), put the beads on it, make a loop in the end with a pair of pliers and fasten it on what they call a double ring. A double ring looks like the ring you put your car keys on. My problem is, I can only find 7mm double rings in my craft store. I need to check out firemountaingems.com and see if they have any that are bigger. They come highly recommended to me with very reasonable shipping, I understand.

Tami

o
RE: stitch markers????

Sheila, here are a couple of pics of mine and what I use to make them. I slide assorted beads onto the head pin, use the rounded pliers to make a loop, then twist the pin wire around with the curved pliers while holding the loop with the round ones. Then I slip that whole piece onto the double ring.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Tami

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Knitting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here