Return to the Knitting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
stocking cap directions

Posted by karan_in_oregon (My Page) on
Sat, Nov 17, 07 at 22:20

Hi,
I am a beginner knitter - I have made scarves with just knit stitches, no purl stitches. I can knit and purl and increase and decrease with much concentration. I need to have directions on how to make a stocking cap. It needs to be really easy.
It is for a 12 year old boy, my Grandson. He is small for his age. I told him I would make one for him, he wants a pom pom on top and in his school colors. Thank you.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: stocking cap directions

What about using a pattern for a Santa hat? Pretty much the same thing. I found this one that calls for a thick yarn. I bet if you use worsted weight instead and smaller needles, it would fit a young child.

Here is a link that might be useful: hat

o

Donna, thank you for the pattern. I am going to try to make one - Karan

o

I want to make a stocking cap and need to know what length of circular needles would be best. I just joined tonight and don't know how or where to post my question although I looked at the instructions and the help page. Can anybody advise me? I'm making the long stocking hat without a pattern, trying to make it look like one that a boy is wearing in the parade scene of the movie "A Christmas Story" as a favor to my future daughter-in-law.

o

If you're hoping to make the cap using just one circular needle, then you will need a long one (at least 36") using the magic loop technique. If that is not what you are hoping to do, then there are two other options that I am aware of. First, you can use a 16" circular until your decreases make that needle too large and then you will have to begin using double pointed needles. Or, you can use two circular needles of any length (I think 16" would still be the most manageable), and put half the stitches on each needle.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Knitting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here