Return to the Knitting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Will I ever learn????

Posted by grandmaknits47 (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 23, 07 at 21:35

Just venting here... I know you should ALWAYS knit both sleeves at the same time, but did I do that...of course not. It makes it worse when there is a repeating pattern, which my sweater did, so now one sleeve is about 3/4 of an inch longer than the other, and the pattern doesn't match.

Thank goodness she is only 4 months old, and I have plenty of chances to redeem myself...LOL!

Happy Holidays everyone!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Will I ever learn????

I usually knit the 2 sleeves at once but if it is a complicated pattern then I do one at a time. When I do
one sleeve at a time, I mark the number of rows so hoping
the next sleeve will be the same length!!
I know how you feel. When I was first learning to knit,
I would do the sleeves separate and find out one was too
short and other too long!!! I have learned over the years.

o

Hi Jjknitter, I think that is exactly where I am falling down. I need to set up a better system for counting. There were three things I had to keep track of at once, and I just didn't do a good enough job of sorting it out. How do you keep track?

o

I know and understand your pain. did a set of cabled sleeves like that and miscounted where the cable turns were on the second sleeve.

Now i always knit sleeves on the same set of needles with 2 balls of yarn. I took a knitting class and the instructor didn't know to do this, even for a teddy bear sweater.

I have the same problem with socks until some one told me to knit both of them at the same time too. there i was trying to figure out how to have 2 socks on the same set of dp's. had to be told to go and buy another set, for a while i tried to knit them with one inside the other. now i knit
5 rows on each sock then switch.

diggerb

o

Best $$$ I ever spent on knitting accessories was a row counter I hang around my neck on a piece of yarn. I have the kind you put on the end of a needle also, but I find the one around my neck is easier to just punch every time I complete a row, whether for keeping track of a pattern or to make sure 2 sleeves will be the same length.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Knitting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here