Return to the Knitting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
crochet clothes hangers

Posted by pinkie75633 (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 21, 08 at 20:26

I am new to this list but would like to know if anyone has done any crochet on clothes hangers.
I have the black ones with that non-slip fleece on them to use but can replace those with just wooden ones if that is best. I have looked on the internet but didn't like the one with all the thread/yarn inbetween the shoulder portion and the straight pants bar.
Could you give me some ideas? I would like to sew these for my daughters for Christmas.
Thanks so much for any help.
sheryl

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: crochet clothes hangers

The nicest ones I have seen have been simple wood hangers with crochet over them. You crochet a strip wide enough to wrap around the wood, and then you whip stitch it shut. Then you wrap the hook part or crochet around it too. Tie a ribbon or crocheted flower at the join of the hook and the cross bar to hide any seams or glue joins. I have seen patterns on the internet, so try googling for them. I have just crocheted over a wire hanger too, and that works nicely for holding onto slippery clothes like nightgowns, sun dresses, and scoop neck tops.

o

Thank you for your reply. I will continue to look and see what I can find.
sheryl

o

I use up most of my worsted weight scraps making covers for my hangers using this pattern. Eventually I'll get all my hangers covered, hopefully. As it is, when one of my kids or friends sees what I'm making, and express interest, I just tell them to bring me their naked hangers and exchange them for ones I've finished. A never ending job, it seems.

Here is a link that might be useful: my favorite hanger cover pattern

o

Those are pretty, Donna, but then you cannot use the cross bar to hang slacks. Got a pretty one that lets you do that?

o

I like the ones on the link from Donna but Lion Brand has one you can hang your pants on.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hanger Cover

o

Thank you all for the input on the crochet clothes hangers.
I am kinda new at crochet and wanted to make my daughters a set of hangers for Christmas. I haven't decided which pattern to use but want to thank you for the suggestions. Keep them coming if you find a new one.
sheryl

o

Donna those are really great, I have never seen anything like those before, just those for the wire hangers. Now, I have both, thanks so much!

o

Thanks donna_loomis for adding a link to one of my personal website pages.

Here is a link that might be useful: craftygardener.ca

o

My pleasure. And thank YOU for sharing your pattern.

o

Here is the updated link for the crochet covered coat hangers. There is also a printable pattern.

http://www.craftygardener.ca/crochet-covered-coathangers/

Here is a link that might be useful: crochet covered coat hangers

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Knitting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here