Return to the Knitting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
SOS Need help for house slippers

Posted by jomo (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 21, 06 at 19:14

Years ago I knitted house slippers on straight needles, starting at the heel and knitting the sides and sole flat until about 2 1/2 or 3" from the toe. Finished the toe part in k1 p1 ribbing. The slippers were finished by running the thread through the stitches and pulling them snug, Whip stitch the toe part and knot, weave the end of the thread out of sight. Fold sides together and sew back of slipper. Now that I've told you this much does anyone know how many stitches to cast on? The main part is knitted, knit one row. knit side stitches ,p 1, knit sole stitches,p 1, knit side stitches. Repeat these 2 rows. I hope someone can figure out this jumble and help me.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: SOS Need help for house slippers

That sounds like the same one another forum member was looking for a while back. Here's the pattern:

CO 29 stitches.

Row 1 (WS): K9, P1, K9, P1, K9

Row 2 (RS): Knit across

Repeat these two rows for 4-5" (half or a little less than half the finished foot length), ending with a WS row. Count the number of ridges and make a note of it for your second slipper.

Ribbing Row 1: K1, P1 across row, ending with K1.

Ribbing Row 2: P1, K1 across row, ending with K1.

Repeat these 2 rows for about 4-5" (until slipper is 1" less than length of foot), ending with row 2. Make a note of how many rows for your second slipper.

Next 2 rows: K2 together across row, K last stitch.
Cut yarn, leaving a tail, and draw it through all the remaining sts. Gather and stitch top of slipper together to the end of ribbing. Sew back seam.

Make a second one to match.

To make the same slipper with a small cuff:

CO 39 stitches.

Row 1 (WS): K14, P1, K9, P1, K14

Row 2 (RS): K4, P1, K29, P1, K4

Repeat these two rows for 4-5" (half or a little less than half the finished foot length), ending with a WS row. Count the number of ridges and make a note of it for your second slipper.

Ribbing Row 1: BO 5 sts, K1, P1 across 30 sts, K5.

Ribbing Row 2: BO 5 sts, P1, K1 across row, ending with K1.

Ribbing Row 3: K1, P1 across row, ending with K1.

Ribbing Row 4: P1, K1 across row, ending with K1.

Repeat rows 3 and 4 for about 4-5" (until slipper is 1" less than length of foot), ending with row 2. Make a note of how many rows for your second slipper.

Next 2 rows: K2 together across row, K last stitch.
Cut yarn, leaving a tail, and draw it through all the remaining sts. Gather and stitch top of slipper together to the end of ribbing. Sew back seam.

Make a second one to match.

o

Thanks so much Donna. Hopefully I can get a pair knit for my friend before I move.

o

I casted on both slippers on one needle. It's a PITA to keep track of but the slippers should match. I am using the thread ends from the outside and inside of the skein. it might be a tad easier to use two skeins but I didn't have two, only one big one.

o

Jomo, you could have wound the skein into two balls to make it easier.

I'm glad to see you back at the forums, You have been missed over at the KT! Take lots of breaks from packing, and don't get too tired. And make sure the computer is one of the last things packed and unpacked so you can check in with us!

Tami

o

What weight of yarn would the slipper pattern take, that doonna loomis provided?
I passed on the pattern to a friend of mine, more as a joke than anything else - because she doesn't have time right now (with her Christmas knitting, rennovations to where she has recently moved, visitors, fundraising for a charity, etc. etc.).
And she called my bluff by wanting to know the yarn type and gauge.

Thanks.

o

I usually use worsted weight. It's been a while since I made them, but I think that a 4 ounce skein is just right for even the larger slippers.

o

Cat Bordhi has some great slippers knitted on two circular needles in feltable real wool. I have made several pairs and they are lovely and warm. I use doubled up aran equivalent of my handspun yarn on 6mm circular needles. One day I will get round to sewing on suede soles from the jacket I bought for 10pence at a charity stall at a country fair.
Tip: only buy Addi Turbo needles. They are the best. And only METAL thin ones as the bamboo ones break easily. Thicker sizes are great in bamboo.

o

Thank you for the yarn weight, Donna.

o

Hi all. It's been awhile since I checked in. I'm going to try this pattern that Donna listed. Problem that I need an answer to is: "what size needle" using wool ease?
Thanks and Merry Christmas everyone!
Barb

o

The "regular" Wool Ease is a worsted weight. For an adult slipper, I use size 8 needles.

o

Thanks Donna. I'm going to give it a try. First time for slippers but I have leftover yarn from an afghan and slippers will use it up.
Barb

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Knitting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here