Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
donna_loomis

Pics of the (finally finished!) Tiger Socks

donna_loomis
16 years ago

I am so sick of looking at this yarn, but my grandson sure loves his socks and wants me to make lots more for him.

Comments (13)

• suebdoo
    16 years ago

Hi Donna

Very nice socks indeed. Is the yarn self striping sock yarn?

• donna_loomis
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Yes, Sue, it's self striping. And no matter how well I tried to match it up, it had a mind of it's own. But they turned out alright. I've recently purchased several colors of hand dyed sock yarn on ebay, so I'll have plenty of practice trying to get it right.

• Carol_Ann
    16 years ago

very cute! I love the tiger stripes :)

• cherbo
    16 years ago

How neat are those!? LOL, they blend in well with whatever that is that the kids are sitting on.

• kareen
    16 years ago

Adorable little one Donna, and I really like those socks.Kareen

• dindrane
    16 years ago

Oh, those are awesome! Please keep posting your creations, or tell me where you blog is if you show 'em off there!

Where did you get the yarn?

• grandmaknits47
    16 years ago

Those socks are absolutely awesome! I can understand why he wants more...:)

• donna_loomis
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I got the yarn from LittleKnits.com - at $3.50 a skein, it was a very good deal, in my opinion. I don't have a blog, but I try to post photos occasionally. Thanks for all the compliments everyone. Right now I am knitting the world's most boring socks for my husband. He says no loud colors, so I am using "naked" wool, very fine, and no fancy stitches. But I promised to make them for him, so I just have to grin and bear it, then I can make some more fun ones for me. I've got three colors waiting on the shelf.

• scrappyjack
    16 years ago

I LOVE those! They would work great for a boy or girl.

The teeny ones and the teeny one are just adoreable!

• jenn
    16 years ago

Those are adorable! I don't think the stripes need to match.... after all, tigers don't share the same stripe pattern. :-)

• cwilder
    15 years ago

I love those socks. If you are looking for a neat product to make the soles of any knit socks non-skid, try GRiPPiES (http://www.grippiesonline.com), their iron ons work great on handmade socks and make a nice safe non skid sole.

Here is a link that might be useful: GRiPPiES: the no-slip solution for tights, socks and gloves!

• tami_ohio
    15 years ago

Donna, he socks look great! If I remember right, the tiger yarn comes in a 100 gram ball, right? The way I get my self striping socks to match is to use a kitchen scale and a ball winder. Weight the skein first. Wind about half of it and weigh it again, until you have equal amts. I then re-wind the rest of it. I start both socks at the same time so I can match the ends of the yarn and start them at the same place. They come out VERY close. If I can remember tomorrow, I'll post a pic of the ones I am working on now. It's the self striping red white and blue. You will probably have to wind about a quarter size ball from one of them to get to a place that matches, but if necessary, you can use that at the toe if you run short. It's to late tonight for me to take a pic and post it. I can hardly keep my eyes open now.

Tami

• sheilajoyce_gw
    15 years ago

Great job and picture, Donna. So cute. I love making baby boy booties from self striping sock yarn. It is so cute on them, and you can treat several babies from one ball of yarn.

I notice the colors for baby boys at the fancy "shoppes" are tan, navy or other blues, and red. Can't go wrong with any of those colors. I have also noticed that a lot of moms of little boys don't like all the pastels, though I do. So the sock yarn booties are perfect for them.

Sponsored
MAC Design + Build
Average rating: 4.3 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudon County Full-Service Design/Build Firm & Kitchen Remodeler
More Discussions