Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kareen_gw

What am I doing wrong .....socks.....

kareen
16 years ago

Hi everyone ,

I am doing my first pair of socks , a basis rib then knit , yarn on 3 needles , working with the forth. When I move from one needle to another I am getting a large space . My friend who is teaching me said to work the first stitch under the needle I just finished and pull it tight before I put that needle under the two I am working with. I have but it is coming out the same way.....very frustrating......help!!!! Kareen

Comments (7)

• donna_loomis
    16 years ago

That is called a ladder, and it happens to nearly everyone when they begin to knit socks for the first time or two. Your friend is right in telling you to tug a bit on the first stitch after you knit it, but if it is still happening to you, then you may need to tug on the next stitch as well, and maybe even the next stitch. Or, you can try knitting the socks on two circulars. This has been a great help to me in eliminating ladders. Also, don't worry too much if you have just a little space. After washing, that often disappears. Good luck.

• kareen
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Yes Donna, it looks like a ladder and one part looks like the ladder lost its rung!LOL
    I do knit the " throw the yarn " method....not sure if that adds to the problem. Thanks for your quick response. Kareen

• donna_loomis
    16 years ago

Kareen, you might just count your stitches to make sure that you haven't dropped a stitch as well. I don't mean to say that you NEED to change your method, but if it is comfortable for you, maybe you could try picking instead. You could hold the yarn with a little tighter tension (at least for the first few stitches on each needle) by squeezing the crook of your little finger with the yarn in that crook.

• threejsmom
    16 years ago

Besides tugging more tightly on the 1st and second stitches, you can try shifting the 1st stitch on each needle: knit 1 or two extra stitches off the next needle before you change needles. Also knit with 4 needles instead of 3; there'll be less tension on the stitches. Some knitters reduce ladders by starting each round by making sure the new needle is on top of the previous one while others do the opposite. Experiment to see what works better. As Donna said, that the ladders usually disappear after a couple of washings.

• sandra_ferguson
    16 years ago

I continuously move a stitch from one needle to the next, so that the site where the ladder would be is constantly changing...that is, not the same stitches...it changes each time I move one stitch to the next needle.

• diggerb2
    16 years ago

definitely consider knitting on 4 needles. it makes doing
    a 'tube' like a sock so much easier. also mving the stitches from needle to needle help keep the fabric you create smooth. My favorite sock pattern has 12 stitches on 4 needles (48 stitches total) i knit 13 sticthes on to my free needle as i work my way around, by knitting a stitch off the next needle

diggerb

• kareen
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Not sure I understand about adding stitches and moving the stitch .I crochet a lot more than I knit ....novice is the word for me. Thanks everyone for your help, I will keep at it. Kareen

Sponsored
More Discussions