Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
itsmesuzq

Question on crocheted granny squares...

itsmesuzq
17 years ago

I'm almost finished with all my granny squares for my daughters Chirstmas gift...a blanket for the top on her bed. My question is: How do I crochet the squares together? "Or" do I use a yarn needle and sew them together? I've never put an afghan together before (that's what I call this project) and I'm thinking I might want a solid color (maybe 2 or 3 inches) around the squares to give it a finished look. If I have to sew them together then I guess I should crochet the solid color around all of them evenly, right? And then sew them? What stitch would you use in that event?

I know some of you are experts with the crochet hook and I would love some advice or ideas on how to make this happen. Thanks to any and all of you who respond!

~Susan

Comments (9)

• donna_loomis
    17 years ago

You could just whip stitch them together, or single crochet them together. Crocheting them together will be a stronger bond than whip stitching, and sometimes the thread gets pulled too tightly when whip stitching as well. But if you want to add a different color border, I think it would be nice to see that color as a border around each square as well. I'm providing a link to a site that has a tutorial with pictures about how to do that. Photos, please.

Here is a link that might be useful: Joining squares

• redquilter
    17 years ago

If the last round of each square is a different color, you would be smart to crochet an additional round (row) on each using the same color for all. (I always like black - that's kind of a tradtional look but it depends on your taste and the rest of the colors in the afghan. I join mine by single crochet. Place two squares, right sides together and single crochet through each square. Do 1 row, then another and then join row 1 to row 2, etc. Finish off the afghan with another round or two or three. Usually I like to single crochet all around. You can use any of the colors in the afghan or the color that you used for the last round of each square or a combination. Just remember when doing the final round around the outer edge that you have to do 3 single crochet in each of the 4 corners to get it squared off and to lay flat. I hope this makes sense. I've been crocheting for nearly 40 years, and can show anyone what to do, but to put it in writing is new for me. If you have any questions, I'll try and explain better. I LOVE crochet!

• rwisniew
    17 years ago

I have looked at a couple places on the net for joining and I still have questions!

I made these strips and now need to join them, but I am working with the row edges...chains and dc's. I tried slip stitching and sc them together and didn't like either one. Should I try whipstitching or should I sc an edge around each strip? what would you recommend?

Sherri

Here is a link that might be useful: Lion Brand Baby Blanket

• itsmesuzq
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thank you all for your help!! Donna I loved the tutorial (I'm a visual learner) and I made copies of it. Redquilter thanks for idea about using black as the background color. I bought extra cream and a warm brown, but I too love that traditional black surrounding the granny squares. I might use what I have for Jenny's gift but when I do another one I think I'll use black...I can just see bright color granny squares with a beautiful black background. Beautiful!

Also...since my color scheme involves 6 colors (mauve/dr.rose/lt.rose/dr.green/lt.brown/cream) I'm thinking I might single crochet around the squares with the first round, then maybe the second round I'll stagger the sc with a chain 1...to create breaks in the yarn that will form a pattern. I want the squares to "pop" as much as possible. I'm laughing because I probably am not making any sense...I too can "show" someone but to actually put it in words - well that's an entirely different matter.

Sherri, that baby blanket is so darn cute! I hope you get your answers so you too can create a treasure to beyold!

Again...thank you all so much. I live in So.California and believe it or not I do not know anyone who loves to crochet! I wish we all lived closer...we could have so much fun together!

~Susan (who LOVES to crochet too!!)

• minnie_tx
    17 years ago

I love to make them but hate to put them together . I'm never satisfied the way they look. Now if I'm tempted t make a granny square I make one gigantic one. I start out the regular way and just keep going and going and going. . . . . . .

• itsmesuzq
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Minnie - I've done that as well. I have a beautiful large granny square over the back of a big chair in my living room. I'm really excited about this project and I really hope I don't have too much trouble putting all the squares together. I have them laid out on the floor right now and I can tell that crocheting them together is going to be a challenge...but I've already put in many hours crocheting each square so I think I'll just bite the bullet and go for it! If I pace myself and just do so many each day maybe I won't get frustrated and tired...good thing I love my daughter so much, and love to crochet!

~Susan

• dani_2008
    15 years ago

I have been crocheting for along time, but this is the first time I have done a granny square blanket. I didn't have the foggiest ideal how to "hock" them together. So i went looking. I am also a person that needs to see something to understand it. I found this sight and liked what i read. I went to the link that Donna posted and I liked it. But if you need one with bigger pictures I found another one that I really liked.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hocking squares together

• heatherschulte_yahoo_com
    14 years ago

I prefer the whip stitch method of sewing the granny squares together, because it creates a flatter seam. Also, if the squares are not identically sized, they are easier to work together by sewing than crocheting.

Crocheting them together is usually done by slip stitching (sometimes with chain stitches.)

Here is a link that might be useful: How to Join Granny Squares

• tami_ohio
    14 years ago

Susan, for your's, try doing a few each way, without fastening the ends, so you can take it apart. See which way you like best, then do that. As mentioned above, remember the increases in the corners when doing an edging so it will lay flat when you are finished.

Sherri, according to your pattern, you should sew them together. I assume with a whip stitch. Don't pull the yarn tight, or it will distort the strips in places. It looks like they want it to lay flat, not have a "frame" or "stripe" made by using a sc or sl st to join them.

Tami

Sponsored
More Discussions