Return to the Knitting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
armholes not flexible enough

Posted by sheilajoyce (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 12, 06 at 18:05

I notice that every baby sweater I make, the armholes are not stretchy like the rest of the sweater. I suspect I am pulling the seaming yarn too tightly when I sew in the sleeves, but it seems to happen whether I inset the sleeve before or after sewing the side seam of the sweater. And I have been trying to sew in the sleeve more loosely. Still they are tight.

Any advice to help with this problem?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: armholes not flexible enough

Sheila, I often have that problem too. What I usually do instead of sewing the sleeves on, is to just pick up my stitches around the armhole and knit the sleeve on, or crochet the sleeve from the armhole. This doesn't work, of course, for most adult patterns because of the shaping, but many baby patterns don't have such shaping.

Another option might be to use an elastic type thread of a similar color to sew the sleeves in instead of the yarn you used for the project.

I'm making a chemo hat right now of Elann's Esprit yarn. It is very inexpensive and comes in many colors and stretches. Check out their site.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Knitting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here