Return to the Knitting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to enlarge doily crochet pattern

Posted by krissie (My Page) on
Sat, Nov 20, 10 at 17:58

I need instructions on how to enlarge a vintage crochet doily pattern from 15" to a larger size to go on a cedar chest.

My deceased mother made a doily for my daughter and she is interested in a larger size of same pattern for her cedar chest.

Here is a picture of the doily:

http://www.vendio.com/stores/jeniebugscorner/item?lid=6590282&source=Vendio:Google Product Search

I found one of mother's typed patterns with name of doily and thread company name, no picture. Googled the thread company name and found the doily, it is the same doily she made for my daughter.

Is there a rule of thumb way to increase size?

Your help would be greatly appreciated.

Krissie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to enlarge doily crochet pattern

Krissie, the information given on that page strikes me as a bit odd. Number 40 thread is very fine and a number 7 hook is on the large side. I would use something like #10 thread with a #7 hook. Maybe this is not U.S. written, and I don't know if the numbers would be different for a different country. Hook sizes are different for UK, for instance.

But if we are to assume that this is written with U.S. measurements, all you have to do is substitute #10 (bedspread cotton) for the thread and it will come out much larger.

o

I agree, Donna, and she could even use a little larger steel crochet hook too. I have not looked at the pattern, but when you finally get to that last row, you could lay it on the cedar chest to decide if you want to ad lib and add a repeat of the last row, for example.

o

Thanks for all of your suggestions. Will give it a try and see what happens.

Krissie

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Knitting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here