Return to the Knitting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How do I M1 and then K1 in the same stitch??

Posted by newbie_knitter (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 25, 09 at 16:44

Hi there,
I hope someone out there can help me...

I am making a hat for my nephew. It is this hat from Bernat
Softee Chunky - Diagonal Hat & Scarf (kn)
The instructions say:

**1st row: (WS). Knit.
2nd row: (RS). K1. M1. Knit to last 2 sts. K2tog.
3rd and 4th rows: Knit.
5th row: Sl1. K1. psso. Knit to last st. M1. K1.
6th row: Knit.
These 6 rows form Diagonal Pat.**

Do you think the instruction for row 5 is a mistake? Should it maybe read Knit to last 2 sts? I can't figure out how I M1 and then K1 on the last stitch. Help please! :)

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How do I M1 and then K1 in the same stitch??

Also here is the link to the bernat pattern - it is free but you have to be a member (also free) to see it.

Thank you!

Here is a link that might be useful: Softee Chunky - Diagonal Hat & Scarf (kn)

o

You are not the first person to wonder about this. I did a Google search and here's your answer.

-Babka

Here is a link that might be useful: The answer is here

o
Here's more.

As for how to actually do it in one stitch, go to this link.

-Babka

Here is a link that might be useful: Knit the same stitch twice

o

thank you!

o

To make 1 stitch, hold the left-hand needle in your left hand and the right-hand needle in your right hand. Now look between the two needles. You will see a straight-line thread.

Use the tip of one of the needles; whichever is more comfortable for you; place that straight yarn onto the left-hand needle. Now, knit that thread. You have literally made one stitch from within your knit fabric.

To increase a stitch, you knit into the front and back of the next stitch on your left-hand needle. The results are the same. You are adding stitches to your work. The technique is different.

The reason for the difference; the increase stitch makes a purl-like bump on the knit side of your fabric. If you make 1, there is no bump. Just a matter of taste.

o

When you make one by picking up the yarn between stitches, you will be following the directions right. Knit to the last stitch, pick up the yarn between the stitch you just knit and the last stitch, place it on your left needle and knit it. Now knit that last stitch.

The directions are correct.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Knitting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here