Return to the Knitting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Neck and Shoulder Shaping Help

Posted by rocketbird (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 26, 08 at 16:25

I am knitting my first sweater, and after several months, I am almost done. However, I'm stuck on the shaping for the front neck and shoulder, which goes like this:

Shape front neck
K30 and turn, place rem. sts on a holder.
BO 4 sts, purl to end: 26 sts.
Dec 1 st at neck edge on next three rows, then EOR twice, then on foll 4th row: 20 sts.
Work 3 rows, ending with WS row.

Shape Shoulder
BO 7 sts at beg of row and on next RS row.
Work 1 row even.
BO rem 6 sts.
With RS facing, rejoin yarn to rem sts, BO center 12 sts, knit to end.
Complete to match first side, reversing shapings and working an extra row before start of shoulder shaping.

Could someone help me decipher this? Thank you very much in advance for the help! I really appreciate it!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Neck and Shoulder Shaping Help

You weren't very specific as to which part you don't understand, but maybe it will help you if someone paraphrases the instructions you've posted. I'll give it a try.

Shape Neck
"K30 and turn, place rem. sts on a holder." - This part is pretty much just what it says. After knitting 30 stitches, place the remaining stitches (the ones you haven't knit) on a stitch holder or a length of waste yarn.

"BO 4 sts, purl to end: 26 sts" - You're starting with the 30 stitches you just knit. Bind off 4 stitches (it takes 5 to bind off 4), then purl to the end of that row.

"Dec 1 st at neck edge on next three rows" - First row: Knit 24, then knit 2 together. Second Row: Purl 2 together, purl 23. Third Row: Knit 22, then knit 2 together.

"then EOR twice" - Next row: Purl. Next Row: Knit 21,then knit 2 together. Next row: Purl. Next Row: Knit 20, then knit 2 together.

"then on foll 4th row" - Purl one row, knit one row, purl one row, next row: knit 19, then knit 2 together.
"Work 3 rows, ending with WS row" - Purl one row, knit one row, purl one row.

Shape Shoulder
Bind off 7 stitches at the beginning of next row, knit to the end of the row. Purl the next row. Bind off 7 stitches at the beginning of the next row, knit to the end of the row.
Purl the next row.
Bind off the rest of the stitches

With the right side facing you, rejoin yarn to the remaining stitches, bind off the center 12 stitches, knit to the end of the row.

Complete to match first side, reversing shapings and working an extra row before start of shoulder shaping.

I hope that helps.

o
RE: Neck and Shoulder Shaping Help

Okay, thank you very much!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Knitting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here