Return to the Knitting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
interesting stitch pattern for socks

Posted by sandra_ferguson (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 22, 09 at 15:03

I'm knitting a pair of socks using the chevron pattern, and self-striping yarn and I'm really liking the way it looks. The pattern is 11 stitches...(..I cast on 66 st...and get 6 of the pattern sets)
Start at the top and do 3 ribs of garter stitch (in other words knit rows 1, 3 and 5...pearl rows 2, 4 6...then start the pattern rows;
row 1- *p2, k2 tog, k2, (k1, yo, k1 in next st), ssk* repeat from *
row 2 *p2, k9* repeat from *
repeat rows 1 and 2
This makes a pattern that dips, making the stripes of color also dip....

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: interesting stitch pattern for socks

I love socks, that is mainley all I knit now. SElf striping yarn, heck any yarn for socks, and the more complex the pattern the better!

Vickey-MN

o

Thanks Sandra! I have a pair going now, but will keep this in mind for another pair. It sounds like it will come out really neat. Can you post a pic when you finish?

Tami

o

I will post a picture....by one of the following 'methods':
1) my old camera will STILL work...doubtful
2) I figure out how to work my new camer....also doubtful
3) daughter's fiance comes over and takes one..most likely
I just tried the old camera with no luck ,so it's down to the last 3 options!

o

you said:
Start at the top and do 3 ribs of garter stitch (in other words knit rows 1, 3 and 5...pearl rows 2, 4 6...then start the pattern rows

I ask:
I thought, if you knit every other row, and purl the rows between, it is called stockinette stitch.

Wouldn't be purling every other row, and knitting the rows between also called stockinette stitch?

Moni

o

No, you do it just as I said to. What you're talking about is knitting on straight needles, when you knit to the end of the row, turn and pearl your way back....that's the stockinette you're talking about. Socks, however, are made on 4 or 5 needles and knitted in the round...so, all you ever do, to make stockinette stitch in the round, is to knit...you never have to pearl. However, to make a garter rib in the round you knit the first row and then pearl the second one...that makes one garter rib.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Knitting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here