Return to the Knitting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Several Questions on Peace Hat

Posted by rwisniew (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 17, 06 at 14:55

Hi, I started this with a Jiffy thick and quick yarn, I did the first 4 rounds, but I felt it was too thick, so tore it out.

Does anyone have a suggestion for a good yard to use with this?

Also, I am wondering if there are mistakes in the pattern. These are rounds, but it never says to join them.

Round one, where do you do the 12 dc?

Round five, they must mean *sc in next 6 sts, dec 1*, don't you think?

Here is a link that might be useful: Peace Hat by ballostring designs

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Several Questions on Peace Hat

rwisniew: It appears to me that the writer of this pattern just assumes that you should know that at the end of each row you should slip stitch into the first stitch of the round. If you don't join them you will end up with holes in your hat. As for round one, you are supposed to end up with 13 stitches, so after you chain 4, you will make 12 double crochet into the first chain you made (and then, of course, don't forget to slip stitch in the top of the 3 chain that you didn't make any stitches in).

I believe round 5 should read: ch 1, *sc in next 6 sts, decrease 1*, repeat from bet *'s around, sc in last 4 sts.

o

Thanks, Donna! That makes more sense, I will change my copy.

Sherri

o

Donna, do you have a recommendation for a yarn for this hat?

o

Sherri, the yarn called for is a heavy yarn. I looked at their website, and they are calling it a rug yarn. You could probably use any bulky weight yarn, but be sure to check your gauge. You mentioned that you thought the hat was too thick when you tried the Jiffy, but I think the hat is going to be thick anyway because of the type of stitches used (relief crochet). you could go with two strands of worsted weight if you like, or even one, but you would have to adjust the size of the hook then to make sure it comes out to about the right size. If you decide to go with two strands of a worsted weight, I think I would choose something very soft, like Bernat Satin, or Red Heart Soft.

o

Thanks Donna!

That project just got moved down a few notches, i got some yarn in the mail yesterday for some slippers I want to try!

Yeah, i really thought the jiffy would work, but it was just too bulky! Need something in between or the two strands is a good idea too.

I think I worked with a Bernat Soft and chunky that might work for the hat.

Sherri

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Knitting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here