Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
diggerb2

seeking vintage columbia-minerva pattern

diggerb2
16 years ago

Hi i'm hoping people will help me find a pattern for an

afghan from columbia-minerva. my mom made my brothers and sisters all the same afghan, but died just after she started working on the one for my youngest brother. I have the yarn needed and the needles. i have a picture of the afghan in a book that lists columbia-minerva and beehive yarns. Its the 'knitted cable afghan' and instructions start on page 79 of the pattern book. what i don't have is the first few pages/last few pages (including page 79) and the covers of the book. the book (its soft cover) included clothes for babies, women/girls, men/boys and afghans. Some patterns are knitted some are crochetted. the books patterns start with 8200. they include the modern mount vernon crochetted afghans as No. 8255.

i've been trying to check on ebay for the book, but i don't know its number or publication. although my mom knitted one of these afghans before 1964 for my grandmother.

any help would be appreciated in terms of how to find the pattern thru a copy of the directions. please email or respond

diggerb

Comments (24)

• profsusan
    16 years ago

if you could post a picture of one of the other afghans I am sure someone would be able to help (not me since I don't have knitting patterns) - this group is great for identifying lost patterns

• donna_loomis
    16 years ago

Yes, please do post a picture of something from the book. I have lots of old CM books and thought about looking through everything last night, but even a little hint would be most helpful.

• diggerb2
    Original Author
    16 years ago

ok so the next time i come to the library I'll bring the book with me and list some of the other patterns in the book and i'll seek out a computer saavy friend to figure out how to get a picture posted without having a camera or scanner.

thanks for the encouragement, i'll keep trying.
    diggerb

• donna_loomis
    16 years ago

Digger, we aren't trying to make it difficult for you, only easier for us. I'll take a look this evening and see what I can come up with.

• ldillon
    16 years ago

I found this on the net - I'll keep looking as this may not be what you want. Take a look.

Here is a link that might be useful: knitted cable stitch afghan

• diggerb2
    Original Author
    16 years ago

thanks for the pattern idillon, but its not a match. I'm working at getting a picture of it on the computer.
    All i can addf to this is that the book shows the afghan in alternating colors (3 panels of 1 color and 2 panels of a second color) it was knit in panels and then joined. and part of the cable motif has some lacework type diamonds in it.
    diggerb

• reapinjoy
    16 years ago

I believe that I have the book you're looking for or at least a similar one. The pattern is actually No. 8254 for the knitted cable afghan illustrated on page 44. Instructions are on page 78 only. The book is titled Minerva Knitting Manual Volume 82. The copyright date is 1951. The black and white photo shows seven strips with three cables going down each strip. Two dark strips on each side of the outsides, two medium colored strips next, then two lighter strips, the one in the middle is lightest of all. It has dark fringe on the top and bottom and measures about 60 x 72. Let me know if that's what you're looking for. I came on here trying to find out what length of circular needles I should use for making a toboggan stocking cap.

• diggerb2
    Original Author
    16 years ago

dear reapinjoy
    thanks for your response. is there any way you can post a picture of the afghan-- i don't have the ability to post a picture myself.
    thank you for your response. i'm sorry but i don't klnow the answer abouit the toboggan hat-- for myself i would knit it on double pointed needles, but i think you usually use the shorter circulular needles the smaller you opening is. there is also the 'magic loop' method-- that is explained on the site, but it befuddles me.
    digger

• reapinjoy
    16 years ago

I'd be happy to put a picture on here if someone could tell me how to do it. Can I just copy and paste it? This is only the second time I've been on this site. I can easily e-mail you a photo of it. That might be easier. I promise I won't mail other weird stuff. I hate spam with a passion.

• reapinjoy
    16 years ago

Can you put a link on here for the magic loop toboggan pattern you were talking about? There were too many to choices to look through to easily find it when I searched for magic loop. I'll probably end up using circular needles to start with, at least until the hat gets too small for them. Thanks!

• diggerb2
    Original Author
    16 years ago

hello everyone
    thanks for all the help on this so far. finally i've a picture of this afghan on a flash drive and will now try to figure out how to get it posted on the web so people can see what a beauty this one is and help me really find the instructions. thanks for your patience and help

diggerb2

• diggerb2
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Ok i now have my picture of this afghan on a file on a flash drive. but i am clueless as how to get it posted here.
    it tried to get it uploaded to photobucket but it said there is an error : "the file "picture0001.tif" doesn't have a valid image extension. valid image extensions are: gif, jpg, jpeg, png and bmp."

my BIL downloaded the image to a flash drive for me by scanning it on is computer.

help and suggestion are necessary.
    I suppose i could directly email the file to someone who
    could help.

diggerb2

• donna_loomis
    16 years ago

Digger, email the photo to me and I will convert it to a jpeg for you.

• diggerb2
    Original Author
    16 years ago

thanks donna, for the rest of you that have helped i'm hoping to get a picture posted soon.
    diggerb

• diggerb2
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Ok if i've done this right here is a link to the image of the afghan. I think that reapinjoy might actually have the pattern that i'm looking for if anyone knows how to contact her.
    diggerb

[IMG]

http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg136/diggerb2/Picture01.jpg[/IMG]

• diggerb2
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I am sorry that i didn't get the image to come straight up when you go to the link. If you type in diggerb2 into the search box at the photo bucket site it will lead you to the picture.

does anyone know how to contact reapinjoy-- she may have what i'm looking for

digger

• donna_loomis
    16 years ago

Let's try this:
    {{gwi:1583272}}

• donna_loomis
    16 years ago

Digger, Reapinjoy just joined this forum in his/her search for something else and doesn't show an email address on her page. I'm afraid we will just hope Reapinjoy shows up again soon and sees the photo. I think he/she has the book you're looking for too.

• diggerb2
    Original Author
    16 years ago

wow donna that works
    diggerb

• reapinjoy
    16 years ago

Hey there, although my photo is just slightly different from the one you've put on this page; I do believe that it is the exact same pattern. Not positive how to get it to you, but I scanned it in and can e-mail the photo and pattern to you as jpegs. I clicked on diggerb2's name and attempted to send an e-mail with this same information to her through this forum.

• wam1174
    16 years ago

Hello,
    I have some old minerva books, I will look throug to see if I have that pattern.
    Let me introduce myself. My name is Wanda, my hobbies are knitting, (#1) crocheting, (2nd.)Looking forward to meeting new people and hearing about what they're working on. Have a good night one and all.
    Wanda

• diggerb2
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Wanda thanks for you offer to help. please look. i really believe that reapinjoy has what im looking for and responded to her email she sent me. i will let you all know soon if we have it right.
    thanks again
    diggerb

• diggerb2
    Original Author
    14 years ago

i've started to knit this pattern. i'm so excited. thank you all for helping to find it.

diggerb

• michellebonnstetter_yahoo_com
    13 years ago

i am looking for pattern no 2690, 7918 xmas stockings, that i need the exact yarn being used and colors, i have the patterns but not the yard usage. ty