Return to the Knitting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
question about felting....

Posted by vicki_il (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 24, 08 at 13:09

I have a purse that I knitted a couple of years ago that's supposed to be felted. My problem is that I don't think that my washing machine gets hot enough to do it. Somewhere, sometime I heard that you can felt by hand. Does anyone know if I can do this and how do I do it?

Thanks so much for your help!

Vicki

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: question about felting....

Felting is accomplished with a combination of agitation and drastic temperature changes. You can certainly do it by hand, using a spoon or stick to stir the project. I have a friend who does a lot of felting. She uses her washing machine with very hot water, detergent and runs it through a couple of cycles using hot water for the washing and cold for the rinse cycles.

Annie

o

I boil water on the stove, pour it into my washer, and agitate....I check it every once in a while, and add more boiling water, if necessary to felt it as much as I want.
Sometimes I first put it in the pot, on the stove, with boiling water, and stir...then pour this whole thing into the machine. I also dye things at the same time I'm felting. I had a lot of wool yarn I got for practically nothing, but didn't like the colors, so I use this process to not only felt my 'product', but turn it into a color I like.

o

I've been felting a lot of small stuff by hand. Just hot water, as hot as I can stand in my kitchen sink, a little dish soap and I rub the heck out of it, mashing it around a lot and rinsing until all the soap is gone. Then put it in icy cold water for a bit, squeeze it out, shape it and let it dry. If it doesn't felt enough for you the first time, you can do it again until you get the desired results.

good luck!
Robin

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Knitting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here