Return to the Knitting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Breaking in New Circular Needles

Posted by pacnwgrdngirl (My Page) on
Sat, Nov 10, 07 at 13:08

Hi! I just got myself some new bamboo circular needles. I am going to try and make an easy knit baby afghan. I always make everyone crochet baby shower gifts. I would like to try knitting this time. I have a baby girl cousin coming next May. I am a semi-beginner knitter. I've made all the easy stuff. Now I am ready to branch out and knit something a little more extensive. I remember reading somewhere how to break in your new circulars. Couldn't find it anywhere. I think it involved submerging in hot water or something. Do any of you guys do that with your stiff, new circulars? Also any easy, easy knit baby afghans anyone can share? I have an old Leisure Arts leaflet with a couple of good ones. Always fun to look at more though!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Breaking in New Circular Needles

Just warm the cable. I sometimes sit on mine, but you can run the cable thru steam if you like.

As for easy knit baby afghans, try the grandmother's favorite dishcloth pattern, holding two strands of worsted weight yarn together as one, and make it as big as you want. If you want it 36" sq., knit until it measures 36" from the beginning to the point where your needle is waiting, not across the row you are knitting, then start decreasing. Simple and cozy warm!

Tami

o

I would not put wood or bamboo in water.

o

I agree with Shielajoyce about putting wood or bamboo in water. And I think using steam or sitting on them only works for a little while and they go back to their original shape. I have only found it annoying when using shorter circulars. When making an afghan or other piece that uses the longer needles, it hasn't really bothered me.

Some brands of needles are more stubborn than others.

o

Try blowing the cable with a hairdryer. Some of the bamboo needles have really stubborn cords. If you like wood needles with a very flexible cord, check out Knitpicks's Harmony line. Below is a link to free baby afghan patterns.

Here is a link that might be useful: Baby afghans

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Knitting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here