Return to the Knitting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
My scarves are matted!

Posted by kellilou3 (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 24, 08 at 10:32

Hi everyone,

Have you ever used Jo-Ann Sensations Angel Hair yarn? I knitted up a bunch of scarves using that yarn with the intent of selling them in a couple of weeks. Yesterday, I washed them on the delicate cycle and put them in the dryer, but my husband went behind me and mistakenly turned it on hot. So the cute fuzzies that come out when they're dry and fluffed are all matted into the scarf. And the tassles at the end are tangled together. I'm wondering if the 22% wool that's in the yarn tried to felt under that hot heat? Is there any way to reverse it? I thought about soaking them in a fabric softener and water mixture to see if it would release any, but do you all have any helpful hints? There are probably 20 scarves, and I'm just sick about it. Thanks for your help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: My scarves are matted!

If the wool has, indeed, been effected by the very high heat, then I doubt there is anything that can be done to alter this......but, soaking them in fabric softner,etc wouldn't hurt to try.... (I'd just try it on one, to see.) But, think of a wool sweater that has been put, by accident, into the drier...there is nothing that can make it as it was before.
I'm just so sorry this has happened...what a pity! Did you administer a good pinch to your husband?

o
RE: My scarves are matted!

Unfortunately, your scarves are now felted and there's really no way to revive them. I know that they don't like you meant them to look, but are they ruined or just different than you intended? I went on-line and took a look at the recommended care instructions for this yarn, and it was pretty clear that it should be hand washed in cold water and dried flat, so I'm guessing that this yarn is prone to felting if exposed to heat and agitation.

Annie

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Knitting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here