Return to the Knitting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can I use a 24' needle?

Posted by calicokitty (My Page) on
Thu, Nov 15, 07 at 9:40

Can I knit this hat on 24 inch circular needle? It's the shortest I could find.

I haven't done alot of knitting in the round so thought I'd ask before starting. Thanks

Here is a link that might be useful: hat pattern

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can I use a 24' needle?

Calicokitty, you will have quite a bit of trouble knitting the London Beanie (my grandson's favorite) on one 24" needle. It's really too short to use as magic loop and too long to stretch those stitches around. If you have another circular 4.5mm (U.S. size 7) needle, any length, you can use both of them, with half the stitches on each, and that would work just fine. Just remember to knit the stitches on each circular with the opposite end of the same needle that the stitches are on. But to use one circular, you will either need at least a 36" or nothing longer than 16". And if you use two circulars you can forget the dpns as well. Let me know if I can be of any help. It's my favorite way to knit in the round on small circumferences (can you say socks?).

o

Wow, Donna, thank you! This is such a cool idea. I won't be able to try it out till later this evening, but I'm really looking forward to it now. I'm excited - especially when you mentioned socks, and I suppose it would also work for mitts.
Are there any sites online that describe this method? Wow-Can't wait to get started.

o

Calicokitty, here are three sites with good instructions and pics/video. I know that may seem like overkill, but one may click for you better than another. Have fun!

http://www.az.com/~andrade/knit/twocirculars.html

http://nonaknits.typepad.com/nonaknits/2005/10/two_circular_ne.html

http://www.knittinghelp.com/videos/advanced-techniques

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Knitting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here