Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rwisniew

Would like a recommendation

rwisniew
17 years ago

I have been buying all my yarn on-line at Joann's. I would like a baby yarn that is varigated for an afghan, but it is hard to tell how they look and feel on-line.

Does anyone have a favorite that they have worked with?

Sherri

Comments (7)

• donna_loomis
    17 years ago

I really like Bernat Baby Softee. Lots of colors and it's very soft.

Here is a link that might be useful: Softee

• rwisniew
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Have you used the canby baby variety? It looks like the blues and greens might overwhelm the pink and yellow.

And the chiffon looks too much white.... fussy aren't I??? :-)

Sherri

• donna_loomis
    17 years ago

No, I haven't used the candy. I just recently finished a baby afghan using the dreamy blue variegated, though, with solid pastel yellow, green, and blue to match. As for the white, I think it's just right. There is another baby yarn (the name just won't come to me right now) that I considered using, but the white actually looked almost blue when held next to this one. This one is a warmer white. Hope that helps.

Here is a link that might be useful: geometric afghan

• sarasal
    17 years ago

I don't know if Joann's has this on their site, but I just found a pretty varigated baby yarn. It's Caron's Simply Soft, Baby Brights Ombre. I don't think it is "bright" at all which is fine with me. It has the nicest mix of pastel colors - lavender, peach, blue, pink and yellow. Something different than the usual blue, pink combo.
    I found the yarn at A C Moore's.
    Caron's website is: www.caron.com.

• sarasal
    17 years ago

Hi,
    I just went to the Joann's site and they do have the Caron Baby Brights ombre under "Caron's ombre yarn". But, the picture doesn't do it justice. The picture is washed out and appears to be blue, pink, yellow, white.
    Yes, there is some white, but it also has the lavender and peach. Baby blue and pink are there but not overwhelming the color mix. There is a picture of a baby hat on the label which I'm going to make and it does show a lot of yellow along with the other colors.
    Guess the best thing would be if you could see at a local store. I really like it.

• rwisniew
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Sarasal, I like the looks of that, thanks! Now I have to pick out a stitch to try. I am thinking of the crazy stitch that I just read about or a similar shell stitch.

Right now I am making the Bubbles Baby Blanket that had a thread on here a while back. But just like books, i always want to have one waiting in the wings to look forward to starting.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bubbles Baby Blanket thread

• sarasal
    17 years ago

Sherri,
    I had bought 1 skein of the baby brights to make the hat on the label. When I went back a few days later I was going to pick up what they had since I liked it so much. They were out and I ordered more(on sale-good deal). I just got home from picking up the order. Well, in the store I almost didn't take it because I thought it looked different from what I had at home. Lighter and brighter, I thought.
    Don't trust your eyes when you can't have both items next to each other. I got home and compared them and - what do you know - they are the same.
    The bubbles baby blanket looks cute. Too bad I don't crochet, only knit. I can crochet a chain that's it.
    I want to make a baby blanket too so I'll just surf around til I find one I like. With the varigation of the yarn, I think a plain type pattern would be good. Course there's other projects in line before this one so it'll be a while before it gets done.
    Good luck with whatever you decide to make.
    Sally