Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
deedeebaker_gw

Needle Tatting

deedeebaker
15 years ago

Anyone ever heard of this? Our local craft store is offering classes and I thought I might check it out. I do crochet and I just wanted to know if it's hard to do. I "googled" it to see what it is and it looks like it can be a real challenge. Do you think someone who crochets has a good chance with it? LOL I was reading the instructions but I'm better at visual so the class would be a great help.

Comments (7)

• sandra_ferguson
    15 years ago

This looks interesting. I'm always looking for things that I can pick up and take with me, and this looks to fit the bill...so, please let us know what you think...I don't crochet beyond using it as an edging for things I knit.

• tami_ohio
    15 years ago

Go for it! It is MUCH easier to needle tat that to tat with a shuttle. I have done both. My grandmother tatted when she was well and I was little. I always wanted her to teach me, but my hands were too small when she was well enough to teach me. I taught myself to do both, but had to have help with the shuttle tattting, as you have to hold your hand just right to make the stitch correctly. If I got the book out, I could do it again. It is very time consuming to do it either way, but is very beautiful if you enjoy it. Needle tatting is not new, it has been around for at least 15 years.

Tami

• deedeebaker
    Original Author
    15 years ago

tami ohio - I've never even heard of it. Sounds like you really enjoyed it.

• minnie_tx
    15 years ago

they had demos on carol duvall in the old days lucky that you have a place to give lessons I'd go ahead and take them.
    It looked really easy on TV

• tami_ohio
    15 years ago

Actually, I'm too lazy to do it! It takes a long time to do, but it was something that my grandmother did and I wanted to learn. Maybe if my hands would have been big enough for her to teach me, I would have enjoyed it more, as I had much more patience at the age of 8 or 10 than I do at 49! It's very easy, just time consuming. I like things that go faster.

Tami

• deedeebaker
    Original Author
    15 years ago

same here with the patience thing. I enjoy crocheting and to me that goes pretty darn quick. Plus I have a couple projects going on right now, trying to start a small candy business so I have to keep coming up with new ideas, going to bake cakes in a jar with friends this weekend and I'm crocheting an afghan for my son's GF. Its all fun but just takes time. Oh, and I'm also job hunting at 50 yrs old :)
    Maybe down the line I might take one class and see how it goes. thanks!!

• jannie
    15 years ago

I tried shuttle tatting years ago,I took a class at my local Michaels. It was pretty hard,I finally got the "knack". One of my older cousins (now deceased) used to make tatted handkerchiefs as Christmas gifts. I still have a couple she made for my Mom.

Sponsored
Creating Thoughtful, Livable Spaces For You in Franklin County
More Discussions