Return to the Knitting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
how long is a man's size 9-9 1/2 foot?

Posted by sandra_ferguson (My Page) on
Thu, Nov 26, 09 at 8:55

I'm knitting a pair of socks for a man who wears a 9 or 9 1/2 size shoe. Could someone with a husband with this size food measure it and let me know how long, in inches, his foot is? I'd sure appreciate it. My husband and my daughter's fiance are both size 13s, so no help to me whatsoever! This'll save me from having to take a tape measure to a men's shoe dept, which would look a bit odd, to say the least!
Thanks, and a Happy Thanksgiving to all!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: how long is a man's size 9-9 1/2 foot?

Tip: I would think it would be 9" and if so, be sure
to knit foot for 7" then 2" would be toe shaping. I measure from center of heel towards toe less 2" on any sock
for correct size. If you are knitting 10" sock then knit
for 8" leaving 2" shaping for toe. 2" for toe shaping
on any size sock.
Good luck.

o

Stephanie Pearl McPhee says in her book "Knitting Rules:"

"The length of a person's foot is about 15% of his height. If you know how tall someone is...you can probably make that person a pair of socks that fits reasonably well."

She also says that the length of a person's foot measures pretty much the same as that person's forearm, measured from elbow to wristbone. If you can measure him, he'll think you are going to make him a sweater.

Don't know if there is any sense to her theories, but there they are.

o

My sons wear this size, and I wear a woman's size 9. When I buy them slippers, I just try them on to see if they fit me enough. Their feet may be a tad wider, but this works for me. What size do you wear?

o

An idea: Measure your foot and what size shoe you wear
and maybe you can figure it out!
Wishing you good luck.

o

I'm going to have to go with sheilajoyce's advice on this one, as I, too, wear a size 9. These are a Christmas gift for my dentist, so there's no measuring anything! I KNOW most probably don't knit for their dentist, but I have one that heard I'd had a heart attack and called my home to see how I was doing...needless to say, this merits socks for behavior above and beyond!!!

o

The foot measurement of a man's size 9 1/2 shoe is 10 1/2 inches. A 9 is just over 10 inches.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Knitting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here