Return to the Knitting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New knitter - How to block a knitted scarf 108"

Posted by joanntx (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 21, 12 at 8:51

I don't have a blocking board, and when I look for one they are all so small. Do you partially block one part of the project
then block the remailing part to fit on these small blocking boards? The blocking blocks made of material used in kid's playrooms look good, but none seem to have a grid on them. Any advise to a new knitter will be appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New knitter - How to block a knitted scarf 108"

Those foam blocks work really well. You can measure to ensure you get the scarf blocked straight. What type of yarn did you use to knit the scarf? That will determine the best blocking method.

o

It is at bulky chunky weight. I can't find the information about it now, but it is a blend, bought in a craft store not a fine yarn.

o

If it is a blend that is mostly acrylic, blocking will do you little good. Acrylic doesn't block like a natural fiber would. However, you can steam block even 100% acrylic to improve the drape of the fabric. To steam block, place a slightly damp towel under the portion you are blocking and another towel on top, set your iron on high steam and steam the heck out of it, one piece at a time until it is all done. This method does not do much to set the exact shape, just to improve drape.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Knitting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here