Return to the Knitting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
favorite cowl pattern

Posted by sandra_ferguson (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 18, 08 at 8:19

It snowed last night and I feel in the 'need' of a cowl...I've seen several different patterns..some in a lace pattern, some in various rib patterns...does anyone have a favorite they would share? I have some mohair that would feel cozy.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: favorite cowl pattern

My favorite is to do a provisional cast on as wide as you want it, do a 2 x 2 rib as long as you want it, and twist it before you graft the two ends together. Very simple. I did one from a pattern that was nice, but it's way too wide for my short neck and is too bunched up and uncomfortable.

Tami

o

Thanks....but, I was planning on doing it on circular needles (I HATE to pearl!) Sounds like, though, after a few inches are done, it would be a good idea to thread the stitches onto a string and 'try on' for size. My stitches are always loose and I have to watch, or things are way too big....sometimes this means that my husband gets my 'products'..(the socks with a little blocking, are fine for him, but don't think he'd like a mohair cowl!) lol

o

If you want to make one with a twist on circular needles, just twist the first round one revolution when you knit the first row. That should work except that you won't be able to do the ribbing because it will run the wrong direction. I'm with you, why have a seam when it's so easy to knit in the round?

Annie

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Knitting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here