Return to the Knitting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Gauge help.

Posted by tmkellyx2 (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 20, 07 at 8:07

I am knitting an Elizabeth Zimmerman Febuary Baby Sweater for my one year old daughter. The pattern is for a baby and I am knitting it with a larger gauge. The gauge says 5 stitches to 1". I purchased a heavy yarn to increase my gauge (Debbie Bliss Cashmerino Aran) which is 4.5 stitches to 1". I am knitting according to direction however it says once I change to the pattern - at 4.5" start working the sleeves. First of all - is this 4.5" from the cast on or 4.5" from when you started the pattern? Secondly, because I am knitting a larger sweater 4.5" may not be correct - how do you calculate? I hope you understand and can help me. Thank you! Theresa Kelly

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Gauge help.

Conveniently, knitting is stretchy so you can fudge a bit.

Typically you see patterns for 6 months (21 inch chest/11 inch length), 12 months (23 inch chest/12 inch length), 18 months (25 inch chest/13 inch length).

So, switching to the 4.5 inch gauge increased the chest measurement. Personally, I think that a slightly longer cardigan would look better than a midriff baring one, so I'd probably start working the sleeves 5 inches from where you started the pattern.

Or if you check out zimmermania (google it) you'll find lots of knitters who have gone before you - because I haven't tried this one myself. Although it is a super-cute sweater.

o
RE: Gauge help.

Thank you! I will do just that! Appreciate your help! Theresa

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Knitting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here