Return to the Knitting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Knitted cable question

Posted by abc12345 (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 22, 06 at 7:45

Are cables upside down reversible?

The sweater is a "dropped shoulder" style with no armhole shaping on front and back. It uses cables and basketweave stitch.

The pattern directions call for the sleeve to be knit from the cuff up, with a cable in center of sleeve.

If I wanted to make the sleeve from top down (ya know join the shoulder seam and pick up stitches for sleeve) would the sleeve cable be noticeably different than the cable on the front of the sweater (knit bottom up)?

Other option, just leave cable off and do sleeve in the basketweave only.

What do you all think?

Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Knitted cable question

Whether or nto a cable is reversible depends entirely on that specific cable. If you are talking about a simple left or right twist cable, you could knit the sleeve top down instead of bottom up with no problem. I suggest you knit a small swatch with the cable and look at it as you turn it and see if it works.

o

or you could change the direction of the cable as you knit if you want it to be the same as in the body. Instead of knit the twist to the left just do the reverse when you are on the row to knit the twist.

o

Maet, when I first typed my response, I suggested what you said. But the more I thought about it, I decided that the cables would still slant the correct way, even if turned upside down. Pull a sweater out and take a look. I don't think she needs to reverse the cables.

o

Thanks for helping me think this thru.
I'm gonna give it a try.

I'm glad I found this forum, lots of helpful people here!
Thanks again.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Knitting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here