Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vickey__mn

Age to learn knitting

Vickey__MN
17 years ago

My 4 1/2 year old grand daughter wants to learn to knit. I wonder if she's old enough. I've "heard" people say they learned at 4 but they're older and wonder if they just think they were that young. How would I go about it. I tried to teach her to finger knit but she didn't have the patience, plus she wanted to use needles. IF she can be taught, what size needles would be best. I'm thinking the HUGE ones would be too big. Suggestions would be wonderful.

Vickey-MN

Comments (12)

• donna_loomis
    17 years ago

Vickey, that's a tough one. I don't think it's too early to "share" with her some of the techniques and basic stitches (there really are only two anyway). Just don't have any real expectations about it, other than sharing quality time with her. I learned to crochet when I was 7 and very clearly remember even following a pattern to make a thread butterfly. Didn't learn to knit until junior high school, because Mom was not a knitter and couldn't teach me. If she has the urge, though, I think she could surprise you.

• tami_ohio
    17 years ago

Vickey, try about a size 6 or 8 needle and bright colored yarn. Something that you have tried that you know doesn't split easily. If she has to much trouble with the yarn splitting, she will get frustrated. She also won't have a very long attention span with it. Maybe help her cast on 10-12 stitches and knit a row, then go back to it later. You will have to gauge how long it will be before she looses interest each time. If she really wants to learn, she will, it will just take a lot of time, because she'll only be able to stay with it for a few minutes at a time.

Good luck!

Tami

• Freda
    17 years ago

Also save the piece of Knitting if she makes any progress on it, would be fun to show her when she is older. Ok I'm a bit sentimental LOL.

• socks
    17 years ago

How 'bout if you cast on for her and get the piece started a row or two then just start her knitting from there. Make sure she watches you cast on and knit a bit first. Casting on is kind of frustrating to learn and you don't have much to show for it after the struggle of learning. If she sticks with the knitting part, she could learn to cast on later.

• feedingfrenzy
    17 years ago

She's pretty young for needles, but she could maybe do spool knitting. Here's a link to a kit that she might like that's about $10. A nice stocking suffer, maybe?

Here is a link that might be useful: Cool Spool Knitting Kit

• budster
    17 years ago

My local Walmart sells some short colorful needles called My First Needles. they might help. I picked up a set to knit scarves on and also a set to help an elderly aunt who knits but her sight is not what it was. The colorful needles helped the wool stand out and the lightness of the needle and their length helped keep her wrists from beginning to ache. I know we were talking youngsters but sometimes things work for "oldsters" too.

• clare1501
    17 years ago

In England years ago (before TV and computer games) kids would learn to knit from aged 4 or 5. There are shorter needles produced specially for them and I actually have several pairs as I wanted to teach kids here to knit. I am not sure they would have the patience now with so much else going on around them.
    I learnt in England when I was 8, made dolly scarves and Barbie squear clothes, but only really started to take it up as a hobby when I was expecting my first baby.
    Clare

• Dash2
    17 years ago

I was 9 when I learned. I'm wondering if she has the coordination needed at 4. If she's insistent, I'd start her with size 10 plastic needles. They're not too huge, but large enough for small hands.

There are also a couple of things you might want to try first and see if she has the interest. Try teaching her how to make crochet chains. They're easy to do and should give her a sense of accomplishment. They can be used to tie packages or for hair ribbons.

Also, there's those spool knitters. Although that also requires a bit of coordination. But they make those long tails that every little girl thinks will someday be a new rug for her mommy. lol

I'm also going to suggest that if you do decide to give the knitting a try, start slow. You do the casting on. Then teach her the knit stitch. Let her do that until she gets it. Then introduce the purl. One step at a time for at least a week makes learning easier on the younger ones.

• wilsonb
    17 years ago

My daughter was about six when she learned the basic stitches. She didn't really have the patience to knit regularly until middle school. Now, in high school, she's an accomplished knitter.

Both my son and my daughter started knitting on size 10 or 12 double pointed needles with rubber bands on one end.

• OklaMoni
    17 years ago

So, Vickey, what did you do? Is she learning?

Moni

• msmeow
    17 years ago

I was six when I learned. My dad brought me a Learn to Knit kit that had little plastic needles and a little ball of yarn, and I sat right down in the middle of the living room floor, read the directions, and started knitting.

Donna

• diggerb2
    17 years ago

I remember learning to knit in the fall of 1964, i would have just turned 7, but during that summer i knew how to cast on just by watching-- had to have my mom show me how to get the next row started. i learned with scrap yarn and pencils. the next summer my grandfather showed me how to make a fishing net with broom handles.
    I'd say get a set of short, stubby needles about size 10 or 11-- slightly thicker than a crayon and some sort of cheap bulky yarn, show her how to make a knit stitch and let her make a scarf for herself or doll. when she can knit evenly, show her how to purl and let her practice more

Sponsored
More Discussions