Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vickyj_gw

looking for free and easy knitted sock pattern

VickyJ
16 years ago

I'm new here and I have been trying to find an easy knitted sock pattern. I'm worried about turning the heel. I just finished my first pair of mittens, and want to try socks.

Comments (9)

• cannahavana
    16 years ago

Hi Vicky, I just finished my first pair of socks and found it a lot easier than I thought it would be. I did the toe-up way because I don't like seams in my socks. I use the magic cast-on directions on this website:

http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEspring06/FEATmagiccaston.html

Then I followed the directions on this website starting at the short row heel:

http://wendyjohnson.net/blog/sockpattern.htm

I also decreased about 10 stitches (dec 2 stitches every other row) after the heel to shape it around my ankle.

Here are my first pair! Rebecca

• cannahavana
    16 years ago

Ooops, forgot to say that I knitted these with two circular needles instead of dpns.

Here is a link that might be useful: knitting with two circulars

• donna_loomis
    16 years ago

Vicky, as Rebecca said, you may find socks/stockings a lot easier than you might think. I have been knitting for 40 years, and would you believe I never even tried socks until about 3 years ago? Yes, phrases ike "gussett", "turning the heel", and "grafting" really scared me, but once I made the leap I found that it just wasn't as difficult as I made it out to be.

And you will find lots of free stocking patterns at Knitting Pattern Central.

Here is a link that might be useful: stockings

• cherbo
    16 years ago

Here is a good place to lean about knitting socks.

Here is a link that might be useful: Socks 101

• sheilajoyce_gw
    16 years ago

I do not find knitting socks to be difficult and was surprised after reading everyone's concerns here. What I do find is that the pattern often calls for needles that are just too big and I end up with a huge sock. I am making some Magic Stripe socks for a friend's daughter to use as dorm socks. Only problem is that though I can make a pair from one skein of Magic Stripe, there is not enough yarn in this particular kind of striping to start the second sock exactly where I started the first-the repeats are too far apart. Soooo, I guess she will get that second sock just slightly off the striping of the first sock.

By the way, Magic Stripe is so cute to use in making booties for little boys. Not feminine enough for girls IMO, but I will make a baby sock and add a row of eyelet holes at the bottom of the cuff and crochet a tie to lace through the holes. Nice small booties for a young baby and so preppy looking for a boy.

• tami_ohio
    16 years ago

sheila, try matching at the top of the sock, then use the yarn you had to "waste" for the toe of the second sock if you need to. That is what I have done in the past for DH's socks! At least that way, they look like they match with shoes on.

Vickey, just jump in and give it a try! Socks are the reason I learned to knit. My first project was a dishcloth, second was a baby sock, then my first pair of adult socks. Using fingering/sock yarn, I use a size 2 needle for most of them.

Tami

• VickyJ
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you everyone! You have all been too kind. I can't wait to give it a try. I learned to knit in the 2nd grade and just did dish clothes and scarfs. I have been trying to get out of that comfort zone. I have done those purses, and mittens, so my next project will be socks!! I'll let you know how it goes.

• diggerb2
    16 years ago

i got a really great book at the library on knitting socks that's shapped like a sock. its spiral bound with almost row by row directions on how to knit socks. really made it easy for me.
    diggerb

• jenn
    16 years ago

diggerb: Is it Knit Socks! ?? (linked to the book at Amazon.com)

Sponsored
More Discussions