Return to the Knitting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
how to make slippers slip proof

Posted by sheilajoyce (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 10, 11 at 23:34

I just saw a comment a gal made on Ravelry about her knit slippers that have silicone soles. So I asked her how she did it and what she uses.

Since so many have asked about this over the years, I thought I would share her answer. She uses DAP's clear 100% rubber silicone sealant. It fits into a calking gun, and so she outlines the sole of the slipper and then filles it in with the silicone, smoothing it with a popsicle stick. Then she lets it dry and adds a second coat the same way. She lets that sit for a day before using it. If you step in water and then on a slick floor, she warns that they will be very slippery.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: how to make slippers slip proof

I read that people are using Puff Paint for bottom of
slippers. There are leather non-skid soles that can be
sewn to bottom of slippers.
Not sure which one of these sites have the soles:
www.marymaxim.com OR www.herrschners.com

o

We wrap ours (the parts we dont' want sprayed), then spray then with plasti-dip (we buy the spray)..lightly a few times. As far as I know they don't get slippery because it's lightly sprayed and thus you still have texture...but it's waterproof still!

Vickey-MN

o

Hi, I'm new to this board, and I took the suggestion of using plasti-dip spray for the bottom of knitted slippers. It worked very well. Thanks for the suggestion.

o

There is another one called Super Grip. It's a spray I've seen recommended but I have never used it.

o

Hi,

Where do you buy plasti-dip?

o

I bought mine from the net, with s/h it came to almost $17.00. Kind of expensive so if you have an ACE Hardware near you, try there.

Here is a link that might be useful: Clear spray-Plasti-dip

o

Home depot has it also, that's where I get it
Vickey-MN

o

My mom just slaps duct tape on the bottom of hers :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Knitting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here