Return to the Knitting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Looking for Christmas ornament patterns and/or ideas

Posted by Alysha2k (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 18, 11 at 23:31

Hey everyone,

I have knitted ornaments in the past and looking for fresh ideas that are quick and easy. I have to make a few of these ornaments and I am familiar working with small needles. Any ideas for ornaments or links to patterns would be awesome!

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Looking for Christmas ornament patterns and/or ideas

crochet pattern central is where I would start looking!

o

I have a pattern I got free online for mini Christmas stockings. I think I knit them on size 1 dpns using scraps of sock yarn. They look best if the yarn has a little red in it (I used variegated/self striping). However, one other pattern I have seen is an all red mini sock with a white snowflake on it. I don't know if the snowflake is knit as the sock is knit like intarsia or if it is added after the sock is completed. Last year I had about a dozen of these tiny socks, and I hung them across the top of our fire screen with little ornament hooks. I think they would look cute at the tips of tree branches with hard Christmas candies in them and a mini candy cane too.

o

I have made tiny pairs of mittens from sock yarn.
They are quick and so easy.
If you do a search for " miniature mittens" you will find lots of patterns.
These are done on two needles very simply.
My knitting group mass produced them last year !
Really fun to hang on your tree.
I have one tree that is all tiny mittens , under which I have the Jan Brett book " The Mitten"...a darling story about a lost mitten and all the forest creatures who crawl into it.

o

I think these are adorable and plan to make some for next year!

Here is a link that might be useful: Christmas tree bears

o

Just found this looking for another pattern. Too cute!

Here is a link that might be useful: yarn basket ornament

o

Noel, a friend gave me another version of the yarn basket. She used a half walnut shell. She glued a tiny ribbon of lace around the inside edge of the shell with the edge sticking up to give a nice finish to it, and a loop of narrow red ribbon across the center of the shell as if it were a basket handle. She wound tiny balls of Christmas colored yarns (thin crocheting cotton in this case) to fill the shell and then stuck two tiny "knitting needles" into the yarns. The needles are those pins that have the round bead on the top of the pins--red or green might look best.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Knitting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here