Return to the Knitting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Scarf Craft

Posted by GrammyP (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 24, 05 at 22:32

I'm visiting from the quilt forum and was hoping someone could help me with a scarf project. I saw someone making a scarf with what looked like 5 dowel rods with yarn threaded thru them. She was weaving yarn around the rods and sliding it onto the yarn strings. Does anyone have instructions for something like this? I have a 10 yo neighbor who would like to make her teachers scarves for Christmas and I think she would be able to handle this one.

Thanks for your help.

beverly

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Scarf Craft

could a hairpin lace loom be what you are looking for? i was at joann's and saw a sample. the scarf was loopy on the sides and somehow the yarns were connected together down the middle. sorry, i didn't pay too much attention to the details, just looked at the loom and thought, hum, looks easy. :)

Here is a link that might be useful: hairpin lace loom

o

No knitcrazy, I have a hairpin lace loom. This was 5 dowels held side-by-side and you wove the yarn thru them then slid the yarn down the dowels and onto the strings. It is easy enough, just can't figure how to start or finish the thing.

beverly

o

I'm not sure of the name of it, but take a look at these links that use soda straws instead of dowels and see if it is similar to what you saw. It may not be the same because in this weaving, the yarn runs through the straws.

Soda Straw Weaving

Yarn and Straw Weaving

How to Make a Woven Belt

o
RE : Scarf Craft

Yes, That is how it was done. I guess I can just drill a hole in the dowel and thread the yard thru that. Thank you so much Red Confetti!

beverly

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Knitting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here