Return to the Knitting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Site to ID vintage needlework?

Posted by linnea56 (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 28, 13 at 22:29

I don't know if anyone here is a collector. I have a small collection of vintage crochet pieces, starting with the ones my grandmother made.

I find myself drawn to other types, too, besides crochet. If Grandma, Mom, or aunts made it, I've got some. But now I am also buying pieces. I ran across the term "Filet crochet" the other day: and realized that I had some, just never knew it as the name for a variety of crochet.

Does anyone know of a site that can be used to ID types of needlework? The info I find on Wikipedia and similar sites is more of the very high end examples, not what I can going to find at the local antique mall. I'm not doing it to sell, just promised my daughter I would provide as much info as possible with each piece.

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Site to ID vintage needlework?

Have you tried going into any of your local yarn stores to ask the owner or employees? They can be a wealth of information.

o

I've never even seen a local yarn store here in the suburbs. There's yarn in the craft stores, so I assume that's where people buy ttheir supplies. I kind assumed such places were gone long ago...but maybe not. A google search is in order....

o

Sometimes you'll find yarn stores where you least expect them. You can go to the web site for a yarn company (Plymouth Yarn, for example), and then check to find where in your area there is a store that carries their yarn. Plymouth Yarn is considered to be a high-end yarn, so not all yarn stores carry it, though. You could have 20 yarn stores within three blocks of you without any of them carrying Plymouth!

The Knit Picks web site also has a store locator, to find yarn stores that carry, for example, their needles.

Anyway, checking various yarn sites will only cost you a few minutes of your time, and you might be pleasantly surprised at what you find.

Good luck!!!

o

I just found this site while searching for some free patterns. The "About Us" page (to which I'll include the link below) says that they have every issue of Vogue Knitting back to the 1930s. So, there's a good chance that the folks there will at least know where to find the answers you seek, if they don't already know the answer themselves.

Here is a link that might be useful: About Us -- A Good Yarn

This post was edited by Lindsey_CA on Mon, Jan 6, 14 at 3:49

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Knitting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here