Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
babka68

Love and Support Blanket

Babka NorCal 9b
14 years ago

I finally finished Mary Maxim's Love and Support Blanket. I'd hoped to get it done in time for Breast Cancer month (Oct.), but the lymphedema in my arm cut way back on my knitting time. I donated it to my local American Cancer Society store and they were very happy. Actually I was glad to get it out of my house, as it reminded me of all those hours in chemo when I worked on it.

Are any of you glad to say goodbye to a project?

Here are some pics of the blanket:

-Babka

{{gwi:1582718}}

{{gwi:1582720}}

Comments (20)

• gabriell_gw
    14 years ago

That is really beautiful!I've never tried the cables. You did well.

• donna_loomis
    14 years ago

Beautiful afghan! You did a wonderful job.

Yes, I know the feeling of just wanting to see something gone. I started a Blue Delft afghan several years ago and lost interest in it. But it kept staring me in the face and rubbing it in that I was a quitter. So last year I forced myself to finish it. While I was weaving in all the ends my daughter saw it and told me how beautiful it was. So as soon as I was done I told her it was hers. I was so glad to see it go to her house.

• chefreashelle
    14 years ago

You afghan is truly beautiful, and donated to a worthy cause. When my hubby spent a month in the hospital having surgery for his cancer I spent all my free time crocheting him stuff to stay warm once he came home. My stuff didn't leave my house, but I was so glad when I got it done and he came home.

• debey
    14 years ago

I JUST LOVE TO MAKE THAT BLANKET FOR MY MOTHER . SHE AWAY COLD SHE BEEN HIT WITH CANCER TWO TIMES ONE WAS HER NOISE
    THANK GOD THEY GOT IT . BUT LET A MARK ON HER FACES BUT SHE ALIVE .AND THEN THEY FOUND IT DOWN BELOW SHE HAD 7 SURGERYS IN TWO WEEKS SHE A FIGHTER IT YOU WOULD PLEASE BE KIND TO SEND ME THE PATTERN I WOULD BE SO HAPPY THAT I COULD MAKE IT FOR HER SHE WOULD CRY I NO IT AM ALWAY GIVING TO THE CANCER SOCIETY DEBRA

• Babka NorCal 9b
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Here's the link to the pattern.

Here is a link that might be useful: Love and Support Blanket

• debey
    14 years ago

THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR TAKING THE TIME TO SHOW ME WERE I CAN GET IT . I WAS HOPING THAT YOU WOULD BE SO NICE TO SEND ME THE PATTERN. THANK YOU DEBEY

• socks
    14 years ago

Babka, that is so beautiful. Is the yarn in the kit acrylic? It really is beautiful, but it's pretty large too, so I can imagine it did take quite a while to do.

Glad you are through the chemo, and I hope you are doing well.

Good luck with the project, Debey. I know your dear mother will love it.

• Babka NorCal 9b
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks Socks, the yarn in the kit is acrylic. Wash and wear. They gave me a different (MM Best Value) yarn than the Starlette that the kit was supposed to have. I didn't notice that, since I was headed to chemo and wanted a "project" to kill the time spent with a tube in my arm. I had three large (almost 300 yards each) skeins left over. I guess someone just grabbed 10 skeins of pink yarn and put them in the kit. Starlette yarn has 180 yds.per 3.5oz ball. Best Value has 294 yds. per 6oz ball. Big difference.

I'm doing just fine, thanks for asking.

Be sure to get your Mams Grammed.

-Babka

• debey
    14 years ago

THANK YOU I HAVEN,T STARTED THE BLANKET . BECAUSE I AM DOING SOCKS RIGHT NOW. BUT I CANT WAIT TO START . WHEN I CALLED MY MOTHER SHE WAS SO HAPPY. I GOT EVERYTHING JUST NEED TO FINISH THE SOCKS I WAS SO HAPPY I COPY IT 5 TIMES THIS WAY I WONT LOSE THE PATTERN . THANK YOU DEBEY

• debey
    14 years ago

I just drop in to say hello to everyone . i start the blanket . and hope everyone is fine debey

• sorie6 zone 6b
    14 years ago

Babka that blanket is beautiful!!! I don't think I could do that pattern. Looks to complicated for me!! Hope you are doing well . I'm a breast cancer suvivor it will be 18yr. this month!!! Continued good health!

• Babka NorCal 9b
    Original Author
    14 years ago

18 years! You are a survivor with a capital S!

Yes you could do this pattern, Sorie. It comes with a graph, and I used post-it notes to keep my place. You knit or purl or slip stitches depending on the symbols on that row on the graph. One row at a time... ;-)

-Babka

• maryrose58
    13 years ago

would you be willing to share this pattern with me. thank you so much. my email is kdsstr1958@hotmail.com

• Babka NorCal 9b
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Here's the link at MM.

Here is a link that might be useful: Love and Support Blanket

• palmer13_rogers_com
    12 years ago

any chance you could give us knitters a break and post the pattern for free?? as a knitter we always have that hidden stash.after we make it then we could donate it or give it to a friend. sadly we all know someone who has cancer. and who would not want a warm blanket?. I know mary maxim never give free patterns thanks Jodi

• palmer13_rogers_com
    12 years ago

any chance you could give us knitters a break and post the pattern for free?? as a knitter we always have that hidden stash.after we make it then we could donate it or give it to a friend. sadly we all know someone who has cancer. and who would not want a warm blanket?. I know mary maxim never give free patterns thanks Jodi

• Babka NorCal 9b
    Original Author
    12 years ago

The pattern is copyrighted. Please respect that. The kit is still being sold...by Mary Maxim.

-Babka

• merrimancat
    12 years ago

My mom bought the kit to make this afghan for me to have as a comfort. My late husband passed away of breast cancer. When she got the kit, the only thing that was included was some kind of graph. She is an experienced knitter and has knitted alot of things...she is at the intermediate level.
    She doesn't get the instructions too well. She has tried calling Mary Maxim...not a whole lot of help there. Can any of you wonderful people have some better instruction?
    She wants something written...can anyone help us?
    I think this afghan is gorgeous and would really give me alot of happiness!

Thank you

Linda Merriman

• merrimancat
    12 years ago

My mom bought the kit to make this afghan for me to have as a comfort. My late husband passed away of breast cancer. When she got the kit, the only thing that was included was some kind of graph. She is an experienced knitter and has knitted alot of things...she is at the intermediate level.
    She doesn't get the instructions too well. She has tried calling Mary Maxim...not a whole lot of help there. Can any of you wonderful people have some better instruction?
    She wants something written...can anyone help us?
    I think this afghan is gorgeous and would really give me alot of happiness!

Thank you

Linda Merriman

• Babka NorCal 9b
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I'm so sorry to hear of your loss.

Knitting off a graph/chart was new to me too, but learning how to do it opened a whole lot of doors into other projects. Here is a link to a Google search page with many different websites explaining how to follow a graph pattern. One of them might make sense to your Mom.

It was helpful for me to enlarge the graph and I used Post-it Sticky notes to keep my place.

It seems daunting at first, but all those little symbols will eventually make sense. Or is there a knitter's group in your town where she could get hands on advice?

Here is a link that might be useful: Websites to check out

Sponsored
Stanford Designs
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Luxury Interior Design Services | Northern Virginia
More Discussions