Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
suse17

Technique/pattern for Mary Maxim Peaceful Pastels Baby Afghan

suse17
18 years ago

I love the spectrum-like look of the Peaceful Pastels Afghan shown on page 63 and the back cover of Mary Maxim catalog vol 475C. Since I want to make the blanket in bright colors, I'm not planning to buy the kit. Does anyone know of another, similar pattern that's available without a kit that explains the stitch and pattern as well as how to get the gradual spectrum effect? (or do you know if MM sells patterns only even if they are not listed in the catalog?) Or, maybe you've made a similar item and know the spectrum technique and can pass it on. Thanks for any help or leads you can give me.

Susan

Comments (7)

• donna_loomis
    18 years ago

I pretty much asked the same question yesterday at Crochetville. I'm posting a link to a pattern and I got a response from someone who bought the kit and this is what she told me: You do 2 rows using 2 strands of one color, you then do 2 rows using one stand of the original color and one strand of the next color.

So it would go something like this:

(Using 2 strands throughout)
    2 rows white
    2 rows white/yellow
    2 rows yellow
    2 rows yellow/peach
    2 rows peach
    2 rows peach/pink
    etc...

Here is a link that might be useful: round ripple

• suse17
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Donna -

thanks so much - the two-strand thing sounds like just the ticket. I may have to stick with lighter colors, though - don't know how it would work with brights. I'll try it out.

Re the link you provided: I can't find a pattern - only a photo. Am I missing something?

Thanks again,

Susan

• knitwit4charity
    18 years ago

Hi Suse17
    the site below you would have to join to get the pattern she is the designer of it an since it was stolen from her and sold and that type of thing you can only get it on her site...
    http://groups.msn.com/AngelcraftsCharityCrochet
    Lyn is a wonderful designer and it's a shame folks feel the need to steal and publish patterns put on the net for charity which is why I refuse to put up patterns I have revised from other patterns or originated....
    hope this helps you after christmas I am going to try the change thing sounds really cool...
    Tonya

• lime_coke
    18 years ago

The Peaceful Pastels Afghan is basically the same as the one at AngelCrafts. The PP afghan is made using 2 strands throughout as stated above and using a crochet hook size K-10 1/2 US (Canadian size 2, Metric size 7mm). The yarn requirements to make an afghan 50" diameter (total of 27 rows beginning with 3 rows of white then 2 rows of each yarn combination) are
    Bernat Baby Coordinates
    White 50 yards
    Yellow 1 skein
    Peach 1 skein
    Pink 1 skein
    Purple 1 skein
    Blue 2 skeins
    Green 1 skein

Round 7 uses a "small shell". Rounds 8 and 9 use "large shells". This is done to keep the afghan flat and keep the yarn requirements.

• suse17
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks for the input, everyone. I'll post the picture when it is done. Looking good!

• grandma_50
    15 years ago

I decided that I am going to look for a 12-pointed round ripple pattern (that is what it looks like on the peaceful pastels afghan pattern. I printed the colors off of this website as what to use. This also can be made out of Caron Simply soft Brites. For a color picture of Bright round ripple go to: http://www.xanga.com/craftiness22/633757119/bright-round-ripple.html. I also found a picture of the pastels afghan.

Here is a link that might be useful: southerncomfortcrochet

• soyamiso
    15 years ago

Has anyone purchased the Peaceful Pastels kit from Mary Maxim? Considering the instructions call for crocheting two strands at a time, did the kit include two full-size skeins of each color?

Here is a link that might be useful: Peaceful Pastels Afghan

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars27 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus
More Discussions