Return to the Knitting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Baby Yarn

Posted by meowzer (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 30, 11 at 21:24

What yarn do you recommend to knit or crochet baby items? Most seem to be acrylic, and that just doesn't seem good for a baby.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Baby Yarn

Why don't you like acrylic? It is non reactive and is soft. Everything I've made for my grand babies is acrylic...easily washed and dried for the busy Mom. And as an added plus, the bugs don't eat it over the years. I have cotton and wool things from my mother that stained and got moth eaten.

-Babka

o

Well, maybe acrylic is okay. I just thought that a natural fiber would be better, but I can't seem to find any.

What does "non reactive" mean?

o

Michaels or JoAnn stores have a big selection of baby yarns.

Non reactive was, probably, a poor choice of words. It won't make you itch is what I meant, and doesn't require special care as some wool or cotton yarns do. There are some wonderful newer "baby" yarns that are super soft. Even the skein feels good in your hands. IMHO, you want something that is very soft and easy to care for and that won't lose its shape. Acrylics do that.

-Babka

o

Thanks, Babka, I think you're right about the ease of care being important. The "non reactive" on a baby's skin was what I was concerned about, so I appreciate you easing my mind on that.

o

If baby patterns call for Worsted weight yarn, I use
"Pound of Love" by Lion Brand which is very good to wash
and is so soft. I get the yarn at A.C.Moore and if you
get stuck, order on line at LionBrand--http://www.lionbrand.com
I also know Joann's has it, also.

o

If you have a Hobby Lobby, I Love This Yarn is very nice. Comes in worsted weight and sport weight; not sure if in baby yarn.

o

My favorite yarn to use for babies and adults is Plymouth Encore. They sell a DK version for babies as well, though I just usually use the worsted. It is an acrylic wool blend but very soft and not itchy! Machine washable.

When I wear hats made with 100% acrylic (especially red heart) my head itches. Never had a problem with the plymouth though...

Also another nice yarn to use is: Brown Sheep Cotton Fleece. It's a wool cotton blend and feels like silk! 80% pima cotton, 20% merino wool. You can machine wash on delicate but must be air dried otherwise the wool falls out. (so I've been told) http://brownsheep.com And they are made in the USA! I use this yarn for baby booties and hats.

Here is a link that might be useful: Plymouth Encore

o

I second pound of love and I also like caron simply soft for baby stuff or hobby lobby I love this yarn and any of the bernat baby yarns. Mary

o

I like "I love this yarn" but choose to shop locally and that's where I buy Plymouth. I think they feel equally soft though.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Knitting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here