Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
meowzer_gw

Baby Yarn

meowzer
12 years ago

What yarn do you recommend to knit or crochet baby items? Most seem to be acrylic, and that just doesn't seem good for a baby.

Comments (9)

• Babka NorCal 9b
    12 years ago

Why don't you like acrylic? It is non reactive and is soft. Everything I've made for my grand babies is acrylic...easily washed and dried for the busy Mom. And as an added plus, the bugs don't eat it over the years. I have cotton and wool things from my mother that stained and got moth eaten.

-Babka

• meowzer
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Well, maybe acrylic is okay. I just thought that a natural fiber would be better, but I can't seem to find any.

What does "non reactive" mean?

• Babka NorCal 9b
    12 years ago

Michaels or JoAnn stores have a big selection of baby yarns.

Non reactive was, probably, a poor choice of words. It won't make you itch is what I meant, and doesn't require special care as some wool or cotton yarns do. There are some wonderful newer "baby" yarns that are super soft. Even the skein feels good in your hands. IMHO, you want something that is very soft and easy to care for and that won't lose its shape. Acrylics do that.

-Babka

• meowzer
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks, Babka, I think you're right about the ease of care being important. The "non reactive" on a baby's skin was what I was concerned about, so I appreciate you easing my mind on that.

• jjknitter
    12 years ago

If baby patterns call for Worsted weight yarn, I use
    "Pound of Love" by Lion Brand which is very good to wash
    and is so soft. I get the yarn at A.C.Moore and if you
    get stuck, order on line at LionBrand--http://www.lionbrand.com
    I also know Joann's has it, also.

• gardenway
    12 years ago

If you have a Hobby Lobby, I Love This Yarn is very nice. Comes in worsted weight and sport weight; not sure if in baby yarn.

• noeltwright
    12 years ago

My favorite yarn to use for babies and adults is Plymouth Encore. They sell a DK version for babies as well, though I just usually use the worsted. It is an acrylic wool blend but very soft and not itchy! Machine washable.

When I wear hats made with 100% acrylic (especially red heart) my head itches. Never had a problem with the plymouth though...

Also another nice yarn to use is: Brown Sheep Cotton Fleece. It's a wool cotton blend and feels like silk! 80% pima cotton, 20% merino wool. You can machine wash on delicate but must be air dried otherwise the wool falls out. (so I've been told) http://brownsheep.com And they are made in the USA! I use this yarn for baby booties and hats.

Here is a link that might be useful: Plymouth Encore

• acraftylady
    12 years ago

I second pound of love and I also like caron simply soft for baby stuff or hobby lobby I love this yarn and any of the bernat baby yarns. Mary

• noeltwright
    12 years ago

I like "I love this yarn" but choose to shop locally and that's where I buy Plymouth. I think they feel equally soft though.