Return to the Knitting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Does Anyone Know What I Am Talking About?

Posted by ivamae (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 20, 12 at 21:07

When I was a little girl ( I'm 82 now) my grandmother used to make mitts for the men in her family who were farmers. They were very warm. The cuffs were made with just one strand of yarn but the rest of the mitt was made with two. It looked like salt and papper. She knit the European way, holding the yarn in her left hand and used 4 needles , or 5. I was too young to know anything about knitting, but it seems to me that I remember her doing one row with one color and the next row was one stitch of the one color and the next stitch of the other color. Is that possible? Does anyone have any ideas at all?
I'm knitting things for the homeless and for kdis who don't have any mitts for another charitable orginazation. I enjoy this very much
Any suggestions will be very much appreciated.
Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Does Anyone Know What I Am Talking About?

ivamae I did a google and you might wantto explore it fun reading anyway

Here is a link that might be useful: knitted mitts for the men in her family who were farmers. - Google Search

o
RE: Does Anyone Know

just read a couple of the links on the first page dont miss hem very heartwarming

o
RE: Does Anyone Know What I Am Talking About?

They almost sound like selbuvotter mittens. The number of needles doesn't matter really. Often to knit in the round people use DPN's --double pointed needles. And European (also called continental) also doesn't matter, you can knit these "english" style (also called throwing) the yarn also.

Here is a link that might be useful: Google Selbuvotter

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Knitting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here