Return to the Knitting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Antique Fiber Art

Posted by windyone88 (My Page) on
Fri, Oct 24, 08 at 20:48

I have a floral display that was created by my grandmother over 100 years ago. It consists of a 15"x15" display of flowers made of yarn that has been woven around a very fine spiral wire (the spiral of the wire is less that 1/16 inch in diameter) The yarn is woven across the spirals which have been shaped into the pedals, leaves, and stamens often in a tangential pattern. The entire display is 3D and I have very detailed macro-photos of the display for anyone to look at. I am trying to find the name of the art-form and the availabity of the supplies (spiral wire) and anyone who might have knowledge of this technique with the ability to teach it. I believe it is an art-form that originated in Norway or at least a Scandanavian country, since my grandmother had roots in Norway and taught school during her time of making this object in Minnesota.
If there is some way of posting photos on this forum I will post them here, but someone will have to show me how.
Windyone88

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Antique Fiber Art

I would love to see your Pics. It sounds wonderful.
The only way I found to post pictures is to get a photobucket acct which is free . then copy the address photobucket will provide with your pictures ( I find the third one down works best) and paste it in the message area (not the optional link box) when you put in your follow up here. I hope this helps

o
RE: Antique Fiber Art

ladybuglove:
The photos are posted at http://s367.photobucket.com/albums/oo116/windyone88/
Those are all very close-up or Macro so the coil wire looks large,but is only less than 1/16 in Diameter.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Knitting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here