Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
starbright_2007

need help with a pattern

starbright_2007
16 years ago

I am knitting a pattern and I am stumped by the following. It reads like this p1, k2, in next st [k1, (p1, k1) twice, pass first 4 sts over last st], k2, p1. Could someone please explain this.

Thank you!

Comments (14)

• donna_loomis
    16 years ago

I'm assuming your question is about the stuff inside the brackets, right? Well, all in one stitch you knit, purl, knit, purl, knit, then slip the first four stitches over the last one. You will probably have to slip them one at a time. Not seeing the pattern I can only guess that this will make some sor of puff stitch.

• ginaginagina
    16 years ago

I just took a piece of scrap yarn and tried it, and it seems to make a "ripple" or "wave" pattern.
    Brackets normally mean to repeat what is enclosed in them, followed by the number of times you need to repeat. So "[k2 p4] 3 times" would mean k2 p4 k2 p4 k2 p4. When something is to be repeated within those bracket, then often parentheses are used. I am knitting a pattern and I am stumped by the following. My guess as to the translation would be: "purl 1, knit 2 stitches in the next stitch (thereby increasing by 1 stitch), knit 1 *purl 1 knit 1 purl 1 knit 1* and then take the 4 stitches you've just knit and force them all over the knit stitch right before the asterisk, and finally, knit 2 purl 1. Is there any indication that you repeat this in the row? Or does it sound like you're only supposed to to do this once? Do you seem to make up for the stitches you lose by passing the 4 over the 1 at any point? If the answers to these questions are all "no", then it may be something wrong with the pattern. What pattern are you using?

• donna_loomis
    16 years ago

Gina, the comma after the first k2 totally separates it from "in next stitch" entirely. I stand by my interpretation. Since you are making 5 stitches in one stitch and passing four of them over the fifth, there is no increase at all.

• anne_b
    16 years ago

This is one way of making a "bobble" - sometimes called "popcorn". Donna's interpretation is absolutely correct.

• starbright_2007
    Original Author
    16 years ago

The pattern is called Peas in a Pod so yes there is a "bobble' or "popcorn" or as Donna said a puff stitch.I found the pattern on freepatterns.com and it is a child's sweater. I would need to make up stitches I lose. If anyone would care to look at the pattern on line and give me more feedback that would be great!! And yes my question is for all the stuff inside the brackets. You guys are awesome glad I found this site!!

• ginaginagina
    16 years ago

First of all-- my apologies: the original question was too far above on my screen when I scrolled to the message box, so I copied and pasted is it so that I could go through it bit by bit. When I went back and deleted it, I didn't get all of it and so it's included in my original response-- which probably made your problem even more confusing. And secondly-- I have been on this site for about a week, and now I'm going off of it for good, due to the follow up responses. I'm not sure what everyone meant, but it came off as insulting and a bit harsh. I was just trying to help out-- to the extent of actually trying the stitch-- and made a mistake as to the comma. I am an extremely experienced knitter-- I've TAUGHT Aran knitting!-- and I'm not sure how this one got by me, but it most certainly did, and starbright, I'm sorry if this made things worse. I just think people on this site need to realize that members post with good intentions and screw up now and again, and the responses to that could be a little nicer.

• donna_loomis
    16 years ago

Gina, please accept my apology if I offended you. That was certainly not my intent. This is a "discussion" board and I thought we were discussing. We don't always have to agree, do we? I only responded again so that the original poster would not be more confused. If you look around you will see that I always try to be helpful with my responses and I try to word things carefully when disagreeing with someone, because I never want to hurt anyone's feelings. And I don't think any of the other posters meant anything derogatory either. It is often difficult to determine the tone of printed words. Please reconsider leaving. If you stick around you'll see that we're not mean people. Especially on this forum. Ony trying to be helpful. Again, I'm sorry.

• starbright_2007
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Now I'm confused totally. Who has the correct interpretation? And Gina please do not leave seems to me you have a lot of experience and would appreciate everyone's help as I only have been knitting for a short period of time.

• ct_iris
    16 years ago

To put my two cents in - I, too, think this is a great forum with lots of helpful advice. It is hard to know the spirit with which something is said without hearing the tone of voice.

Starbright, if you could include a link to the pattern, that might help.

• starbright_2007
    Original Author
    16 years ago

it is www.freepatterns.com go to knitting and children's clothing it is called peas in a pod

• ct_iris
    16 years ago

Looking at the picture of the sweater - really cute - it looks like those increases (knitting 5 stitches into one stitch) and then immediate decreases (passing 4 stitches over the last stitch) makes a bump for a "pea" and the cables around it makes a "pod." Adorable. Are you using green yarn, too? :)

• starbright_2007
    Original Author
    16 years ago

yes and thank you for your help!

• Maggie4
    16 years ago

I am knitting a sweater too and to say the least it has me stumped but good. I learn something new every time I rip it out. I figure at this rate I'll be 80yrs old before I finish it. It is hard to post how and what you are having trouble with . I think.
    Great Idea posting the site so others can see the pattern. Now back to my first raglan sweater.

• ginaginagina
    16 years ago

(In case you don't see the separate forum I posted) To everyone who apologized about my feeling offended on the post about the bobble/puff stitch for the Peas in a Pod pattern-- Thank you so much!!! I am new to this type of blog/forum/posting thing, and I'm sorry I didn't get the intent behind the other responses. I really appreciate it and I'd love to try this site again-- it really is helpful (except for my own blunder about that stitch, of course:-)). Now, what would be doing if we were a bunch of guys?-- slaps on the back and all go out for a beer?:-D. But most of us here are women, so how about a virtual group hug and back to the wonderful business of our knitting!
    ~ginaginagina