Return to the Knitting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Would like to make a baby sweater

Posted by socks12345 (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 18, 08 at 19:16

I hae some DK weight yarn and would like to attempt a baby sweater. I saw this one on Lion Brand

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Would like to make a baby sweater//

sorry...pushed submit before I was ready.

o
RE: Would like to make a baby sweater

Hi,
Which pattern are you looking at?? Is it knit or crochet??
I have some patterns, if you want let me know!!(they are in knit)
Marlene

o
Here's the info...

I thought I reposted but don't see it now.

It's knit, Pandora. I've never knit a sweater before, and even so consider myself beginner to intermediate as a knitter.

I found a Lion Brand pattern which looks easy enough (link below). Is it all one piece? I'm unsure about something in the early part of the pattern where it says for sleeve shaping to increase 1 at the end of each row. What kind of increase would I do?

The sweater looks a little bulky under the arms, maybe because it's knit in one piece, and I was wondering if anyone here has a pattern or a link to a pattern they think is better. I have DK weight yarn. I could knit with two strands because I have a lot of it.

Many thanks.

Susan

o

Susan,
if you can post your addy, will send you some from sidar.
I dont know how easy or hard they are, unfortunately i do not knit :( my mother in law and friends have been sharing their wonderful stashes..my addy is
mama40@gmail.com if you prefer it that way..
marlene

o

Socks,

The sleeve is shaped by making it wider by increasing the number of stitches with the increase and doing an increase every so many rows according to the instructions. If you know how to knit, purl, cast on and cast off, believe me, you can make a baby sweater. We can help you understand any questions about your pattern. And there are internet sites with instructional clips about how to do each stitch or procedure. I increase usually by knitting twice into the stitch. But you can make one [M1] by making a tight 180 degree twist of yarn on your needle too. Some people prefer to pick up the yarn between the stitches, put it on the needle and increase that way.

So go ahead and try the pattern.

o

There's a free pattern for a baby sweater on the Lion Brand web site that is possibly the easiest sweater to knit in the entire world. Entirely garter stitch (knit every row), and you don't do any increases or decreases at all. :-)
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Here is a link that might be useful: Glamour Baby's First Cardigan

o

Thank you, everyone. Not sure which I'll start.

o

Then try the Baby Surprise Jacket. Every stitch is knit except the last row which is cast off in purl. You need to increase by M1 and decrease and follow the directions carefully. Each sleeve has one seam when you are done, but otherwise you do not need to sew seams.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Knitting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here